Ripped off by ebay bike seller

bonk man
bonk man Posts: 1,054
edited August 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Got skanked by a seller the other day, sold me a cheap alloy ladies frame then took off the gear hanger and said it was 15 quid extra..... what a f*!£$&% skank.......

The guy has a pic of the frame resplendent with hanger on the ad as well. His defence is that;
1. he says on the ad that replacement hangers are available in his shop.......
and 2 , most people will have their own hangers anyway :? ... yeh right how's that then?

Any way I have told him I am annoyed and that he will get bad feedback [ I bought 3 items and one other was not as described also ]. Reported to ebay and possibly trading standards.
I also asked him if he thought other shops sold frames without hangers, I have bought a few frames and they always come with them even replacement frames on warranty...
What a bloody skank..... he hasn't replied yet........

Thats got that off my chest.. cheers guys........
Club rides are for sheep

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Name & shame?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bonk man
    bankrupt-surplus
    Club rides are for sheep
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Strangely that name came to mind on your description of the sale. Bet the £15 quoted for the hanger was 25% of the price you paid.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Odd I've used him many times and never had a problem that wasn't fixed straight away. All his alloy frames come without the hanger which is why he always says they are available seperately.

If you don't like his prices for gear hangers (which I agree are a lot of cash for a fairly simple part), buy elswhere.
  • bonk man
    My gripe is the fact that he shows a pic of a frame with hanger then takes it off.

If he explicitly says NO HANGER INCLUDED , I would not have bid on it. as simple as that.

Just saying spare hangers available in his shop is not good enough, he should be honest to buyers and say that they are not actually included.

I might come across as being a Meldrew but I don't like this sort of minor rip off, I bid on the frame I saw in the ad. Others will do the same and probably put it down to experience and pay the extra but I won't. I don't have anything to lose by having a go do I ? If it means he is a bit more honest and is not trying to get money under false pretences from other buyers all the better.
    I also bought a cassette described as Shimano that wasn't Shimano... at least he got the number of cogs right :shock:
    Club rides are for sheep
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    bonk man wrote:
    My gripe is the fact that he shows a pic of a frame with hanger then takes it off.
    :

I agree that's a bit misleading, however, I don''t think he takes a pictiure of every frame he sells as I think he has a stack of each type, so I doubt he actually took anything off your frame.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    why the hell would you ever sell a frame without a hanger though?
  • bonk man
    will3 wrote:
    bonk man wrote:
    :

I agree that's a bit misleading, however, I don''t think he takes a pictiure of every frame he sells as I think he has a stack of each type, so I doubt he actually took anything off your frame.

I have examined the frame end closely and there is evidence of a gear hanger being attached, also the recess for the bolt is worn indicating a fitting being tightened down or removed.
    Club rides are for sheep
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    bonk man wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    bonk man wrote:
    :

I have examined the frame end closely and there is evidence of a gear hanger being attached, also the recess for the bolt is worn indicating a fitting being tightened down or removed.

Sounds like a bit of a scam to me, he's obviously making a killing on the hangers as an extra. I imagine his profit margin on the frame is negligible.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    eBay can be terrible for stuff, its appaling. I haven't had a bad experience from eBay but its so popular I bet its not far off! bad luck mate.
  • bonk man
    Ok..... he has decided to send the hanger though is a bit annoyed at my tone.... He is also going to change the description I think....

Great, his stuff is ok and mostly cheap but there is something dodgy looking about the way he sells some stuff.. I think the shop name doesn't help :D
    Club rides are for sheep
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    bonk man wrote:

If he explicitly says NO HANGER INCLUDED , I would not have bid on it. as simple as that.

Just saying spare hangers available in his shop is not good enough, he should be honest to buyers and say that they are not actually included.

I might come across as being a Meldrew but I don't like this sort of minor rip off, I bid on the frame I saw in the ad. Others will do the same and probably put it down to experience and pay the extra but I won't. I don't have anything to lose by having a go do I ? If it means he is a bit more honest and is not trying to get money under false pretences from other buyers all the better.
    I also bought a cassette described as Shimano that wasn't Shimano... at least he got the number of cogs right :shock:

But did he say 'Hanger included' ?? If he did, you can get him done under 'item not as a described' Petty in a sense, but justice must be done.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you can assume that a frame would have a hanger, unless explicity says otherwise. If I bought a fork, I'd expect the pushrods to be in it!
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    How much did you pay for the frame mate?
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • bonk man
    about 20 quid as I was the only bidder so it was pretty cheap.

It is a Saracen Verve ladies frame so not of any great value, I think complete Verves can be found for about £150 so only just worth buying a separate frame, I have had to get a headset, seat clamp and some other odds and ends, plus repair a pair of sus forks to go on it, must be close to £100 spent on it and that doesn't include my time............It was one of those projects to use up bits I think, the wife had a working [mostly] ancient Carrera that was too big for her and this frame is about the right size.

As for flogging frames I know that it isn't easy to get enough out of it to make it worthwhile unless it is a rare one or something desirable. I flog frames occasionally and am surprised if they go for more than £50 even for nice stuff, I certainly wouldn't take a hanger off and sell it separately :lol:
    Club rides are for sheep
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    I know what you mean mate. I'd be tempted to leave him Neutral feedback and get a cheap one from either the classifieds or somewhere like Singletrackworld. It isn't worth the hassle getting wound up about it all! Put it down to experience, you should be able to find something for a fiver or so.
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • bonk man
    All sorted now Yeti575, I am getting the hanger gratis with no hard feelings :D

I find it the best policy to go in shooting from the hip as it shocks people into submission, use the anger dude.......................... :lol:
    Club rides are for sheep