Oh... Mothers

boybiker
boybiker Posts: 531
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Ive got my next cat 4 circuit race on Saturday and my mom has said she wants to come and watch so she can drive me to A+E herself ......... :cry: which isn't exactly encouraging :cry:
So how do you deal with it when your mom frets about you killing yourself?
The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
FCN :- -1
Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    She cares about her little boy. Don't knock it, you've got somebody who can give you a warm towel if it pees down with rain and like you say somebody with a lead foot for the trip to A&E :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Which circuit is it? If it's a motor racing circuit it should be nice and wide, therefore safer. If it's a narrow circuit try and keep in the first third of the field, just don't do any work on the front! There are always people who will do that for you. With about 4 miles to go make sure you are well up in the group (not on the front though) otherwise you won't be able to do anything in what should be an inevitable sprint. Breaks rarely succeed in 4th cat circuit races.

My parents still have to drive me to races 'caus I still haven't learnt to drive :( I was racing down at hillingdon yestarday, which must have scared the s*** out of my mum because it's where I shattered my collarbone! Just appreciate the lift down, it means you can relax on the way there!!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • boybiker
    Yep I suppose so :wink:
    It doesn't help that my friend made his third trip to A&E this year on Sunday, like he says you can tell its getting bad when they know you by name.
    Hopefully it will be a bit safer once I get out of cat 4
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    At least she'll be there!

When I shattered my elbow when I was 15, I called my mum from the hostiple and had to spend 10 minutes convincing her that I wasn't winding her up!
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    The same thing is happening at my race tonight :) At least there's some more 'pressure' to do well....
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    All of us older guys are just thinking 'lucky sod'! I'd make the most of it while it lasts, you know like asking for your favourite meal for after the race 'cos you'll be soooo exhausted after :D
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Had to ask my dad for a lift home once from the Aikido class I was doing, couldn't drive as I was in a slight bit of bother what with fully dislocating my knee during a class (everything went back into place, and doing it again in 2000 is how I got into cycling so not all bad). He was less than impressed and finished his dinner before coming to pick me up some time later.

One of the young guys in the club, last accident I know he had involved getting sideswiped by a car that wasn't indicating to turn left out of a roundabout that had cycle lanes (dangerous design IMHO), he was OK but shaken up, from all reports though his mother can't bear to see him on a bike anymore, so its up to his father to do the support bit when he does racing.

So don't knock your mothers help given freely, it will be more of a hassle if/when you don't get it.

Just keep maybe smelling salts and a cold compress to one side if she faints at the sight of your blood....
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • boybiker
    Yep well, it will be fine as long as she doesn't carry out her threat to bring my favorite old teddy to watch as well. :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    She might do someting embarrassing like wet her hanky with her mouth and wipe your face down in front of a group of riders who you've just beat :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Jez mon
    Or hug you if you break your collarbone...embarrassing and ****ing painful
  • boybiker
    Oh no!!!!
    Not the licked hanky anything but that :oops:
    I can see it now you finish ,soaked in sweat and snot running down my face and she starts wetting my hair down. I would have to disown her :lol::lol:
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Jez mon wrote:
    keep in the first third of the field, just don't do any work on the front! There are always people who will do that for you.

...and make yourself very unpopular in the process.

OP check my sig...
    Every winner has scars.
  • boybiker
    My moms not squeamish, my teddy might be though
    but it will be fine no accidents as I will be at the front all the time :wink:
  • whereabouts in hillingdon jez?

and i play rugby on the weekends, once my mum saw me bounce a few times she relaxed a bit, still flinches every time i go down/dont get straight back up though. (spesh as i play up a year and am up against guys 6-8stone heavier than me!)
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    yer ma?

would we? :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Jez mon
    whereabouts in hillingdon jez?

Hillingdon Cycle Circuit in Minet Park next to somewhere called goal i think (it's a load of 5 a side footy pitches.

http://www.hillingdoncyclecircuit.org.uk/

And boy biker...don't do what I just did and try and race on an empty stomach...it doesn't work :(