Bike tyres, AHHH 2 much frustration

b17ant
b17ant Posts: 5
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi there dear bikers and friends

I have purchased tyres for my bike which is said 2 be a 700cx18c, however i have bought 700x23c. i ws just wondering if these will fit or if theyll be 2 large. I was reading the legendry Sheldon Browns sight and couldnt make much sence on what he was explaining.

Thanks alot. All help will be highly appreciated

God bless

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    They will fit. The 18 refers to the width of the tyre, 18 is miniscule, 23 is a size commonly used by roadies, I don't know of any rims that are too narrow for a 23. (to be honest, an 18 is probably a bit extreme).
  • b17ant
    Alfa blue, ur reply is HIGHLY appreciated. God bless and thanks alot bro!. Cheers
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I think the 23c width will be the better choice.
    18c is extremely narrow, usually only reserved for time trials & velodromes.
  • b17ant
    Hi there friends. I just wanted to state that the wheel on the bike has a marking saying 18-622, hence meaning 700x18c, would a 23c still be ok?
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Forget that 18-622 designation. Your new designation is 700c. :wink:

From now on, if the tyre says 700c, and it fits okay in your frame, you can basically use any width you please, from 18c all the way up to 25c or possibly more for touring/comfort...

You should check the clearance between fork legs & chain/seat stays for 25c & up. I don't know, cause I've never used fatter tyres than that on a road bike.

The most common size for racing bikes is 23c, but 21-25c is commonly available too.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    b17ant wrote:
    Hi there friends. I just wanted to state that the wheel on the bike has a marking saying 18-622, hence meaning 700x18c, would a 23c still be ok?
    The 18 is the width of the rim I imagine, it will run tyres wider than that, no problem.

If you have a look at this DT Swiss rims data sheet you will see, for example, the RR1 rim has a width of 19.4mm, and the min/max tyre widths are 19-25mm (I think the rim width will be an external measurement as the rim tape width is 16mm, which probably reflects the internal dimension).

The MAvic site is a little less helpful with dimensions, but the Open Pro rim (which is a popular top quality road rim) states tyre dimensions of 19-28mm.

What make and model are your rims? Maybe you can find the manufacturer's recommendations for tyre sizes online.
  • b17ant
    hi there dear friends

Just wantd 2 thank every1 for the advice, I purchased 23-622 (700cx23c) and they fitted perfectly. Much appreciated

God bless

Bob
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For info, 18x622 is the rim size and the tyre size you need is 700c. I'd avoid anything narrower than 23mm and probably a 25mm for general use. You can get away with a tyre width up to 32mm plus on many rims as long as you don't pump the tyres too hard e.g. cyclo cross.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..