Specialized Price Inceases

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Whilst doing my research for a new bike over the past 2 weeks I visited 3 different retailers. All of them said the new range will be out in September BUT to expect a 15% price increase. In previous years the price has remained similar but with better spec.

What I can't understand is, with still 3 months before new models arrive Specialized are out of stock of 3 different models at 54cm and 56cm.

Somethings wrong when they can afford to go 2-3 months without selling some of their most popular range.

Just interested if anyone know how this works, sounds like Specialize import so many and when they have gone......................thats it?

Interesting !!!

Flyer

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Most years they run out of the most popular sizes. They (and other importers) tend to run out of particular models at points throughout the year, too.
  • girofan
    girofan Posts: 137
    It took me three months and the help of Specialized UK to source a Roubaix 60cm model three years ago. It was found in Italy. Specialized good on customer care but could do better on the availability of bikes.
    I say what I like and I like what I say!
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I was lead to believe that they make a certain number of bikes and then thats it. No rolling production just a set amount that they think they can sell. Good business if you ask me.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Well I hope a 49 or 52cm '08 Langster makes it into the sales for me come the Spring. :roll:
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Also, while we're on the subject my lbs told me the synapse with 105 will be going up 200 quid next year as well so maybe it's across the board on all manufacturers, any-one else heard anything?
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    No suprise that the cost is going up just think of the cost in living and raw materials, Shipping from the far east where most frames are made - container costs have risen by 170% in the last 18 months and of course energy costs for both manufacture and shipping

happening wiht everything at the moment :cry:
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Yep, was looking at Treks at the weekend and they had next year's price list:

1.5: £600 -> £650
    1.7: £800 -> £900
    1.9 £1000 -> £1200

And they are all out of this year's bikes, except for one 1.9 which was being test ridden that afternoon

_
  • virtuoso
    virtuoso Posts: 45
    Ah crap, this means I'm gonna have to get fitter rather than relying on technology to make me faster.

The sub-prime mortgage collapse forcing me to do hill intervals, I never saw that one coming.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    virtuoso wrote:
    The sub-prime mortgage collapse forcing me to do hill intervals, I never saw that one coming.

:lol:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My LBS said they were having great trouble sourcing any bikes. They said that this year the manufacturers are trying to peg back overproduction because they don't like the usual autumn bargain prices as current years stock is sold to make way for the new ranges. If the manufacturers can achieve this then they can get away with price hikes too.

I think they would dearly love to control retail prices (which is illegal) so reducing oversupply is their answer. I suppose all those people looking for bargain bikes in august and september (and failing to get them) are likely to be customers for the full price 09 ranges.
  • The likelyhood of price rises has been indicated for some time in the cycling world media.

Its why I chose a 08 model year bike now rather than wait a few months. (and to get this summer in).

I expect the bike I bought will go up at least 10% in the next range.
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • greg roche
    greg roche Posts: 124
    As an importer and trade saler of my own brand, i have to say its a bit of a relief that 'big' brands are having to put prices up.

We assemble in the UK, and have suffered price increases of as much as 30% from some suppliers - noteably groupsets have gone up drastically.

As for running out of key sizes as teh year goes on, i suspect that's just connected to large brands doing all their manufacturing in one hit, importing and selling until that territories stock is out. They've probably just slightly underestimated this year. All the more reason to go with a small UK brand...he he he...

I appreciate that's not what consumers want to hear, but it means smaller, innovative brands are staying competitive...

Greg
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    There are rumours that the 08 bikes will not be discounted as heavily as outgoing models have been in the past, due to the price rises on new models.

If you are looking for a specific model etc, try contacting one of the 'concept stores', such as Certini. They are probably the best bet for getting hold of one an 08 bike. As has alreay been said, Spesh customer service is good - well that's definately my experience.

As for the cost increases, I am told one of the worst manufacturers is Scott, with up to 25% increases.

I can see the next year being a slow year for bike sales.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I can't say I've been too impressed by the Allez range in recent years. The range has been completely streamlined over that time and from a brief inspection of the specs, these have been downgraded each year. I guess the low to no cost increases have to be paid for in some way.

Having had 2 previously, I like the spesh bikes but I'm not sure better value can't now be had elsewhere with or without any price increase.