Front & rear LED lights

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Any recommendations for LED front & rear lights? NOT Cateye, both EL-500 are broke, one TL-1000 is wonky and I wouldn't trust the other one, just useful to have TL-1000 on each bike plus another one.

For two bikes so must have quick swap over/clips.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Do they have to be LED? I raised my first ever post about this.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12563553

I am very pleased with my lights. I can switch them easily between bikes as a velcro holder and clip for front and rear resp.

Any good?
  • myqul
    myqul Posts: 30
    For my rear i'm going to replace my blinkie with a smart superflash. Not a bright a dinotte (which i'd love but i dont have 80 odd quid lying around) but brighter than a blinkie. I turned one on in my LBS today and they seem pretty bright
    You might have a nice rolex city boy, but I've got the time
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    For the rear the Smart Superflash 1/2 watt is very hard to beat. About £11 online. You can buy a spare bracket for a couple of quid to put on second bike.

For a front light I have a Fenix L2D CE Cree Q5 (£37 delivered) and a Twofish Lockblock to mount it (about a fiver). They are extremely bright, brighter than my old Dinotte 5w, have good run time and use 2 AA batteries. They are very well made. It will give enough light to ride at daytime speeds on completely unlit roads and paths.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    +1 for the Smart Superflash 1/2 watt.

Oh yes ........
  • alfablue
    wow, the Smart 1/2 watt is £8 at Wiggle at the mo![/url]
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    alfablue wrote:
    For the rear the Smart Superflash 1/2 watt is very hard to beat. About £11 online. You can buy a spare bracket for a couple of quid to put on second bike.

For a front light I have a Fenix L2D CE Cree Q5 (£37 delivered) and a Twofish Lockblock to mount it ... It will give enough light to ride at daytime speeds on completely unlit roads and paths.

Have the exact same setup, recommended too. Although if you were doing lots of unlit roads I'd get two torches, smooth & orange peel reflector. A single torch is bright but can be a bit narrow for complete darkness.
    Oh I have a 2nd superflash, in non flashing mode, on the seatstay too, can never be too visible :)
  • alfablue
    fluff. wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

For a front light I have a Fenix L2D CE Cree Q5 (£37 delivered) and a Twofish Lockblock to mount it ... It will give enough light to ride at daytime speeds on completely unlit roads and paths.

Have the exact same setup, recommended too. Although if you were doing lots of unlit roads I'd get two torches, smooth & orange peel reflector. A single torch is bright but can be a bit narrow for complete darkness.
    Oh I have a 2nd superflash, in non flashing mode, on the seatstay too, can never be too visible :)

Ah, like minds, I too have a second superflash. And on the front I sometimes use a cheap Ultrafire copy of the fenix, in addition, nearly as bright, poorer construction, but just £10 from Dealextreme.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    You've just reminded me, keep forgetting to order one of those Ultrafire jobbies as a backup, sorted now :)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10727

If the OP is interested also.
  • father_jack
    Blackburn Mars lights any good?
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Smart 1/2 watt on the back Busch & Muller Ixon IQ on the front. Niether the smallest or lightest front light in the world but I commuted all last winter with mine, it is really bright.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • father_jack
    Bought two of those Smarts, will have one Smart on each bike, and a TL-1000 on each also.
  • Just invested in an Exposure Race Maxx. Limited use so far but very impressed with the amount of light and the neat design, with no cables, external battery packs, etc and unclips easily to avoid it getting nicked. Not cheap but I was fed up with riding in the winter mostly blind along unlit roads (including a section of my commute) so I reckon it was worth it.
  • Front and rear Smart LED's £12.50 from Wiggle until midnight 11/8/08. I dont know about the front light but the rear is very good.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I've got 2 fenix on the front and a fenix with red filter on the rear.

If anybody claims they can't see this lot they shouldn't be driving.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?