Hanging bikes up by their wheels...OK or not?

Iain C
Iain C Posts: 464
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Trail centres like Coed y Brenin have a lot of hooks on the side of the building so you can basically hang your bike vertically by the front wheel. As storage is becoming an issue for me (our road bikes live in the house) I need to get another garden shed and I was planning on putting some string hooks inside so I could hang the bikes up verticallyt.

Is this OK for the wheels long term? Any other considerations, particularly with regards to hydraulic brakes?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Can the forks not leak a little if stored upside down, and generally don't you want to keep the master cyclinders at the highest point?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Iain C wrote:
    Trail centres like Coed y Brenin have a lot of hooks on the side of the building so you can basically hang your bike vertically by the front wheel.
    eh? where? I've only ever noticed the slots in the fence so you can stick a wheel in.
  • nicklouse
    Can the forks not leak a little if stored upside down, and generally don't you want to keep the master cyclinders at the highest point?

if the forks are leaking then they need a service.

master cylinders it does not matter they are all sealed systems. and if are maintained correctly there will be no air in them.

the only thing that i would be concerned about is hanging a 50lbs bike from a hook. will the hook be OK.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    lol, fair enough, on the forks matter then, you are supposed to have them upside down occasionally (to backflip) to keep the foam seals moist, but if you have them upside down for a while am i right in thinking that initially when you right them the oil has to flow through the compression-damping circuits so they might feel a bit odd til that occurs. Or am i now just making stuff up?
  • Iain C
    Iain C Posts: 464
    Iain C wrote:
    Trail centres like Coed y Brenin have a lot of hooks on the side of the building so you can basically hang your bike vertically by the front wheel.
    eh? where? I've only ever noticed the slots in the fence so you can stick a wheel in.

Ground level, to the left of the workshop doors as you face it...and some other places if IIRC.

Thanks for the tips, looks like that is the way to go then.
  • abbots_mike
    abbots_mike Posts: 280
    shop where i got my bike from had the bike hanging from whacking great hooks in the ceiling, just get something that is thick steel, and rubber coated.
  • nicklouse
    lol, fair enough, on the forks matter then, you are supposed to have them upside down occasionally (to backflip) to keep the foam seals moist, but if you have them upside down for a while am i right in thinking that initially when you right them the oil has to flow through the compression-damping circuits so they might feel a bit odd til that occurs. Or am i now just making stuff up?

only on the open bath forks to lube the bushes and seals. the foam wipers on fox forks are top side of the seals and need external oiling.
  • Jumile
    Jumile Posts: 14
    I've got one of these. Works a treat.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Great idea.

I could get at least another three bikes in my garage if I bought some of them!
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Jumile wrote:
    I've got one of these. Works a treat.

Any chance of a pic of that in action? Cheers - looks good and cheap too.