My Nuts Are Made Of Cheese!!!

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
OK to start with....

The allen key bolts holding my stem/handlebars together seem to be made of what can only be described as cheese... They loosen very easily, and seem to shred before i even touch them with allen keys.
Can any one recommend any other bolts that i can use that will be stronger? i've only had the bike 5 weeks and they're pretty much knackered.

Also, if i tilt my bike while riding, say round a tight corner, my disks go "shhhhhhiinnggggg" not loud or as though there scraping but just as thought there rubbing.... this normal?

Cheers for any help,
B

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    just buy the appropriate sized stainless steel bolts, and use a dab of threadlock. Use good allen keys and tighten correctly. Rubbing noise could be flex, loose bolts, loose hub - check.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Also, if i tilt my bike while riding, say round a tight corner, my disks go "shhhhhhiinnggggg" not loud or as though there scraping but just as thought there rubbing.... this normal?

Ah shhhhhiinnggggg is normal but if the go more like ccclannnngggddddigggaaaa then that is definately not normal.

by the way I am taking the p@ss!!

a bit of noise from discs is ok, some are deafening!
  • lol kk cheers :)

Seriously tho, i want some stronger bolts....dont mind payin a few quid...the ones i got atm are pants...any idea where i can get heavy duty ones from?
  • digging this thread back up again, but i cant find any nuts :'( LBS didnt have any and weren't that helpful, they just tried to get me to buy a new stem...halfords only have temps in saturday and sunday who know nothing at all so i have to wait till tuesday before i can talk to the mechanic there :evil:

i'm really lost and its pissin me off now cus i cant ride!!
  • not got a local hardware store you can raid?
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Unless I've misunderstood, you don't want nuts, you want screws (either M5 or M6 depending on your stem) should be able to find what you need on here http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101714/Bolts/Socket-Screws

Make sure you use a good condition allen key of the right size and that the key is all the way into the screw head (bottomed out) before you turn it.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."