Pendle Pedal 3rd August

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
Anybody else doing this?

Im doing the 100k unfortunately, I wish I was doing the full ride but my riding partners dont fancy it and I let them talk me into it!!

Anybody sure of the route? The map on the website is pretty naff!!

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    davelakers wrote:
    Anybody else doing this?

Im doing the 100k unfortunately, I wish I was doing the full ride but my riding partners dont fancy it and I let them talk me into it!!

Anybody sure of the route? The map on the website is pretty naff!!
    I'm doing it. I'm down for the full ride but I've decided to be sensible and do the shorter route instead this time. I've done the longer route the past couple of years including riding from Hebden Bridge to Colne and back via Widdop and that was tough enough. This year, they've moved the start even further away from Hebden Bridge to 'Barlick' (Barnoldswick) and it would be over 140 very tough miles for me and I'm just not fit enough for that at the moment :cry: .

The old map used to be awful, but they've put better maps up this time:

Start/Finish section
    Clitheroe & SW section
    Short Cut and Off Road Start
    Northern section

I've plotted the route for my GPS and if anyone would like my files in .mmo or .gpx format, I'll post links to them for you.

The route is always well sign-posted. For those of you who don't know the area - it is extremely scenic and well worth a trip if your fitness is up to it. For those of you who have done the event before... remember the tough finish section? It just got harder! They've tacked another 100 metres of climbing on at the end. Instead of descending from Blacko to Colne, we now have to climb the A682 over to Barnoldswick.

The driving on the A682 can leave a lot to be desired so take it easy and keep your eyes open. I did that climb on the 'Northwest Passage' audax in 2007 and an old guy was knocked off his bike by a farmer who decided to overtake round a blind bend. When confronted by an oncoming vehicle, he swerved left and side-swiped the cyclist. Fortunately, he wasn't badly hurt.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yep, I'm in, full distance.

Not doing the offroad section, wondering who will.
    The organisers emailed me a couple of days ago and asked if I'd be doing it - perhaps they're trying to see if anyone is and if not they won't bother signing and marshalling it ?

Seems a bit of an odd thing to propose to be honest - it's a tough 100miler to start with, let alone shoving in the offroad section.
    And whilst they say it's doable on a roadbike, it might be more doable on a tourer than a carbonfibre racebike with lightweight wheels, which is what most people will be using ?

Besides, I want to compare myself to last year - I found it quite tough at the end, perhaps it was the heat but the last 15-20 miles after the last foodstop at Clitheroe was tough. I'm hoping I'm a bit fitter this year, will find it easier and will do a quicker time...although of course they have changed the start/finish a bit.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Regrettably, I can't do it this year, not been back on the bike for long enough since injury to manage the distance. I am interested in visiting the cycle show though, but there's no information on the site regarding where it is! I would expect it to be at the start/finish in Barnoldswick, but if anyone has any extra information, I'd be glad of it.
  • Benny Hone
    Benny Hone Posts: 43
    I'm also doing the full distance and am giving the off-road section a big swerve. It was fantastic last year and I only hope the weather is as good as it was then. As Colin J writes above, the area is very scenic and compares very favourably with the White Rose Classic.
    Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead.
  • Dan777
    Dan777 Posts: 49
    EMERGENCY!!!!

I am planning to ride the pendle pedal but my ride partner and more importantly lift has backed out. anybody here in the Preston area any room to maybe give me a lift? obviously i would pay petrol money.
    It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help, thanks.
  • oldnewbikercp
    oldnewbikercp Posts: 2,161
    I am doing the 100 k ride which is about all my current fitness allows .Dont worry about the map /route its a very well marshalled ride.
    Ive a dream a titanium machine.
    Garlic MARMITE and milklesstea exponent.
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    does anyone know where the food stops are for this ride
  • ColinJ
    andy610 wrote:
    does anyone know where the food stops are for this ride

#1 at Slaidburn. Last year it was on the village green and not on the immediate route. We had to follow the road round to the right a few hundred yards to get to it and some people missed it. It's a long way to the second one if you didn't fill your bottle there!

#2 at the picnic centre at Crook o'Lune where the road crosses the river Lune near Lancaster (between Halton and Caton). It's in the car park off the road, but there should be marshals to direct you into it.

#3 at Burholme Bridge about 2.5 km beyond Dunsop Bridge. You can't miss that one because it is just off the road before the bridge.

#4 at Edisford Bridge just before you come into Clitheroe.

The short route only uses stops #3 and #4.

Be warned - the last part of the route beyond Clitheroe is really tough so save some energy for it!
  • andy_wrx
    ColinJ wrote:
    #1 at Slaidburn. Last year it was on the village green and not on the immediate route. We had to follow the road round to the right a few hundred yards to get to it and some people missed it. It's a long way to the second one if you didn't fill your bottle there!
    Indeed. Last year a marshal directed me off along the route rather than into the feedstop, no idea why. I had two 800cc bottles and was rationing myself by the time I got to Crook o'Lune
    ColinJ wrote:
    Be warned - the last part of the route beyond Clitheroe is really tough so save some energy for it!
    Oooh yeah, +1 to that.
    Last year I thought "Oh great, only 15m to go, I'll be finished in under an hour"
    - not exactly...
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    I'm down for the long route. Did the short route last year, at that point my longest ride ever, and enjoyed it. So looking forward to the longer version.

I got the email about the off-road section and replied that I would prefer to make the decision on the day. They rang me as only me and one other had indictaed wanting to ride it so they were planning not to sign it and just give out maps.
  • andy_wrx
    Brave girl !
    Have fun if you do, then you can tell us wimps what it was like...

If you come in 4 hours after everyone else, covered in mud and telling tales of having been lost and attacked by wolves, we'll know you did it.
  • trio25
    I'm not doing it, I said I didn't mind not doing it, don't fancy it on my own I'll just take my mtb out there one day!

I'll probably be four hours behind anyway as I'm slow!
  • ColinJ wrote:

I've plotted the route for my GPS and if anyone would like my files in .mmo or .gpx format, I'll post links to them for you.

Colin, If you could put up the gpx file that would be great. Think I'll probably sign on the line on Sunday.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ wrote:

Colin, If you could put up the gpx file that would be great. Think I'll probably sign on the line on Sunday.
    You just caught me before I shut my PC down! Hang on...

Okay, the GPX file for the longer route is here. It's very detailed so you can get accurate profile and distance figures from it.

If there's any problem with the file, I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

I prune the files down before uploading them to my GPS because otherwise they don't fit in its memory.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    That was brutal!!

Waddington Fell was a long tough drag with some pretty steep sections near the top, but what a fantastic descent!!

The middle 3rd wasnt too tough but the buggers took us up the steep way over Longridge Fell. As for the final 3rd after the Clitheroe feed stop.....................Nick o Pendle, Black Hill (20% Brute), Newchurch, they just kept coming one after the other.

Cycling time of 4:35 which Im chuffed with as was tempted to walk a bit of Nick o Pendle and Black Hill but I didnt. If Im fitter and lighter next year, I may very well try the longer route.

Top organisation and very well stocked feed stations makes this an excellent sportive!!
  • trio25
    This year I took the plunge and did the long route (I found the short route very hard last year but I have done a lot more riding since then). The climbs were hard, there was definetly more climbing than descending ;) I was hurting a lot near the end but I loved it! My Garmin said the route ws 103.5 miles and my time was 08:05:46 - I was aiming for sub 9 hours so was well chuffed! No idea if it is even a reasonable time but for me it was great!
  • wors
    wors Posts: 90
    It waa a brute! I managed nick o pendle fairly easy but half way up black hill my thighs cramped up like mad so i walked. the last 10 miles whee the worst though. 7hr 24 mins for me
  • OUCH. Did the full route and felt fine up to the last stop in clitheroe, totally misjudjed how tough the last bit was and the climbs just kept coming, suffered all the way back. My time was 8.44 which I was happy with for my first ton.
  • ColinJ
    You guys obviously didn't read my warning about the later section of the ride :wink: !

I managed to get up all the hills okay in 2006 and 2007 but I've put on over 30 pounds since then and really struggled this time round.

As I mentioned over on CycleChat, I met up with an elderly dogwalker on a steep little climb between two gates early on. He told me that he'd discovered a dead cyclist lying in long grass at the top of the hill a few years back - the poor guy's heart had given way under the strain. Not exactly what I wanted to hear given how hard I was finding the hills... :shock: !

I was caught out by the new climb over Longridge Fell. I liked it but it was a lot harder than going through the town itself.

I got the hunger knock and dehydrated this time round and ended up walking everything steeper than 15% after Clitheroe.

Looks like I'll have to try it again in 2009 and try to be fit next time!