Chain Device

mariner71
mariner71 Posts: 33
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
:?: Any advice appreciated!

I want something to stop chain rattle and even the chain slipping to smaller rings or coming off when descending through the big stuff.

I have seen chain devices but dont really know much about them. Are they only for downhill bikes. I dont want to loose any chain rings - currently your normal 44/32/22

Cheers folks

A

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what bike?

what rear mech?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mariner71
    mariner71 Posts: 33
    Its a single pivot Marin. Rear mech is sram X7. The bike started as an Alpine Trail but has gone through a complete upgrade apart from the cranks so this is my next project.
    http://www.waller-web.co.uk/DSC00407.JPG
    Cheers
    A
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all there is is a jockey wheel type on one that fits to the bb and sites behind the cranset supporting the chain abit like this that i run with 2 rings.

pbpic1965121.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks for your help nicklouse. will look out for this with some new chainset / cranks
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    I'v just got a Blackspire Dewlie C4 which works really well. My chain used to jump from middle to granny over big jumps, and even bunny hopping off kirbs etc, but this seems to have stopped it completely. You will have to loose the outer ring though because as far as i know there arn't any that work with a tripple chainset. You can get 38 tooth middle rings though.

Speaking of which, i am currently running a 32 middle ring and am peddleing my nuts off on the long downhill fireroads. Which is the best 38 tooth middle ring? I tried to get a blackspire but they are all out of stock on all the sites i have looked at so far. Has anyone found a site with them in stock? If not is the 38 tooth DMR Shift R any good?

Cheers,

Andy.
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    nicklouse wrote:
    all there is is a jockey wheel type on one that fits to the bb and sites behind the cranset supporting the chain abit like this that i run with 2 rings.

pbpic1965121.jpg
    Nice bike! I see you'v had some AV upgrades too :) Is that an Onkyo amp under the centre speaker?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You WILL have a bugger of a job fitting any chain device that has a component above tha chainrings on that marin. Pretty much your only option is something like what Nick's got
  • was looking for something that does not exist / wishful thinking. I think i will stick to 3 chainrings and a clattering chain :-) thanks for the advice.