The not guilty verdict of Barry George

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited August 2008 in Campaign
I for one am pleased to see that Barry George has been found not guilty of the murder of tv presenter Jill Dando. A few years ago i saw a programme,(cannot remember the name)which outlined the case and gave the evidence which led to his conviction.Have to admit an absolute travesty of justice. It was plain to see from the evidence presented that apart from being a weirdo and loner Barry George could not have killed Jill Dando. How was he ever convicted. If ever there was a case of (this is a high profile case we need a result so lets pick up any weirdo,s in the area at the time and charge them) then this must be it. Let us hope that this case is looked at very closely.There was almost no direct evidence against Barry George. Greetings Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Private Eye has campaigned about the dodgy evidence for some years.

This was always a travesty, nice to see the correct outcome at last!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Trouble with this country the guilty ones get themselves a really good brief, who not only gets them off but they also become the victim, not saying that this is the case here but there is alot of people in prison who shouldn't be and even more not in prison who should be.
    Justice for the 96
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Hmmm. Been done for rape in the past though. according to recent news

Jim
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Haven't followed the case but if the evidence really is lacking then it's good that he has been freed - but the time he's spent inside for this is only what he should have got for the rape anyway so I don't feel any sympathy for him.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    bigjim wrote:
    Hmmm. Been done for rape in the past though. according to recent news

Jim

Your point being, exactly???????????????????????
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Unless somebody 'fesses up I don't think the culprit will be caught. All the effort they put into the original investigation and they manage to arrest the local oddbod and secure a conviction on a speck of GP residue.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Barry Geroge has a conviction for attempted rape. The way police conducted themselves in this investigation was very sloppy. They needed a conviction so they basically fitted up someone who was a bit odd and not very bright, any nutter will do.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Attempted rape, eh? A bit like what they tried to charge John Leslie with this year, then. :roll:
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    If he went around stalking women as claimed by the "press exclusives" he should have been locked up anyway before stalking turned to something worse
    Justice for the 96
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    1892 wrote:
    If he went around stalking women as claimed by the "press exclusives" he should have been locked up anyway before stalking turned to something worse

Seems to me like he needed a secure mental fascility more than just locking up. :? He will now probably be watched for the rest of his life.
  • why would any one want to assinate Dando?

What did she know?

Who ordered the police to go after this Barry knobfluff?

hmmm :wink:
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    In an interview with a bbc journalist Barry George admits that at the time of the murder of Jill Dando he was out stalking another woman. It,s fair comment that Barry George is a weirdo and maybe he should be off the streets, but still the police have made an enormous blunder by banging up the wrong man. The chance that they catch the real killer now is almost nil. greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    He has two first names, if thats not a sign of evil i dont know what is...
  • Tom Butcher
    Has evidence come to light that actually proves he couldn't have done it - or have they just decided there isn't sufficient evidence that he did do it in the same way there is insufficient evidence a well known TdF winner doped ? I haven't followed the case but there's a difference between the police getting the wrong man and the police being unable to get sufficient evidence to convict the right one.

• nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Has evidence come to light that actually proves he couldn't have done it - or have they just decided there isn't sufficient evidence that he did do it in the same way there is insufficient evidence a well known TdF winner doped ? I haven't followed the case but there's a difference between the police getting the wrong man and the police being unable to get sufficient evidence to convict the right one.

It's been a while since I studied criminal law, but I'm pretty sure that if you're accused of a crime the onus is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you did it - you don't have to offer any proof that you didn't. And in the absence of sufficient evidence, how would we know this Barry George character is the 'right one'? Because he's a bit odd? Because of his previous convictions? Seems to me that many involved in his conviction took the approach that 'common sense' said that he was guilty, and so didn't bother with actually considering the strength or otherwise of the evidence before them.
  • Tom Butcher
    Yes but this is not a court of law it's an internet forum - and just because there is insufficient evidence to convict someone in a court of law doesn't mean that the police got the wrong man.

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    so tom, you reckon a fantasist idiot with an IQ of 75 committed a perfect crime?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Tom Butcher
    Why do you think I believe he's guilty ?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Yes but this is not a court of law it's an internet forum - and just because there is insufficient evidence to convict someone in a court of law doesn't mean that the police got the wrong man.
    Maybe so. But if you're claiming that "Innocent until proven guilty" shouldn't apply, I'm sure the police would be happy to blame you for a few unsolved crimes. Let's face it, even though there's no evidence, you still might have done it, which is good enough, right?
  • Tom Butcher
    No - you are reading things into my post which are not there.

My point was in reply to Ademort who is assuming that the wrong guy was banged up - I'm just asking the question do we know the wrong guy was banged up - ie is there evidence that proves he is innocent - or is there just insufficient evidence admissable in a court of law to prove him guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

I'd have thought that was a fairly uncontroversial thing to point out but you live and learn.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Yes, I do see what you're saying. My point is though, it doesn't matter. If there's insufficient evidence for the conviction to stand, then it can't stand, there's no need for evidence to prove his innocence.