Narky videos....

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited August 2008 in Commuting chat
Sorry, I couldnt help myself (doesnt help with the "war" :wink::lol: )

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBOr4GIujg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yOhAn5Amd5M

Been a sh***y two days. :roll:

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    One thing that strikes me from your vids is that close passes don't look at all close to the unitiated. I mean, cyclists can tell when you are getting buzzed, but not sure its that clear to drivers.

What do you think they'd look like with the camera canted slightly to the side?

I mean, if you are going to ask a horse to put a fire out with a spoon, at least give it a decent spoon. (Do not attempt to over interpret this statement. It may push you the rest of the way into madness).
  • downfader
    Yeah I know. The camera angle of view really bugs me, sadly I have no way to change this (yet).

Got a funny comment on the Wall of Shame vid. Some numpty accused me of riding on the pavement. How could he possibly tell from the camera set up. :lol:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    downfader wrote:
    Some numpty accused me of riding on the pavement.

That did occur to me too, so were you?

Also there are one or two examples that, whilst outside of the law, didn't endager anyone.

Being in the wrong lane to turn left - we've all done it before, I'm sure you're not beyond reproach.

This stuff winds me up too, but you need to ignore the background hum of driver selfishness or you'll end up bursting a blood vessel.

I prescibe a course of chillaxatives ;op
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Over time I've gotten more assertive myself, and cycling around Cork see plenty of other road cyclists who are even more so. We all seem to get plenty of respect.

Of course that is lower traffic volumes and wider roads help quite a bit,along with Irish drivers being less of a hassle generally, but perhaps more assertive riding would help? Better road positioning and so on.

The footpath thing, I would assume from the video that you were walking.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • downfader
    Nah I havent ridden on a pavement since a kid, so something like 10 years, and that was only a scoot off that got me a telling off from a wpc.

Attica, I know, I know. I was pee'd off and just thought s*d it I'll shove a load of stuff in. :lol: I'm entirely human though, done my fair share of mistakes and have appologised on the spot.

I think from now on I'll just take the pee with my videos.

Cheers for the Youtube comments Chuck! Much appreciated. I know a guy on a photo forum who has cycled across Ireland for charity, he seemed to say what I've noticed in that in the inner city drivers will come closer regardless.

Trouble with Southampton is that people take their cars to the corner shop :? I've said this before so I wont go on. :lol:
  • There were a couple of shots that appear to be on pavements. I assumed you were either on a cycle way or walking (at least one of the clips seems to bounce in time with footsteps...)
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • downfader
    There were a couple of shots that appear to be on pavements. I assumed you were either on a cycle way or walking (at least one of the clips seems to bounce in time with footsteps...)

Do you people not read? :? :roll:
  • downfader wrote:
    There were a couple of shots that appear to be on pavements. I assumed you were either on a cycle way or walking (at least one of the clips seems to bounce in time with footsteps...)

Yes. That's why I assumed you weren't riding on the pavement despite the fact that you obviously weren't on the road in some of the clips.

I was agreeing with you, not criticising you. Do you not read? :?
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • downfader
    downfader wrote:

Yes. That's why I assumed you weren't riding on the pavement despite the fact that you obviously weren't on the road in some of the clips.

I was agreeing with you, not criticising you. Do you not read? :?

:oops: For some reason my mind stuck a question mark in there. :oops: