Hi there... I need a new Roadie

Grumpert
Grumpert Posts: 4
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
HI, I have an old Raleigh racer... however the frame is rusty and wont last too much longer...

I am looking for a new road bike with drops..

I have a budget of £400-650, obviously less money on bike means a better lock, shorts and jersey etc.

I am looking for a bike that works well and wont break too easily...

I have heard conflicting rumors about Sora parts... will they wear out quicker??

I have looked at the Specialized Allez, the Giant Scr's and the Bianchi's

what would be best for £400-500 and £500-650 ???

Oh and I am 6ft 2" 70 Kg (although i will probably fill out as i get stronger legs)

Thanks for any help...
Grumpert

Comments

• Phixion
    Phixion Posts: 81
    I suggest the Specialized Allez Sport, it was originally £699 but it's been reduced to £599, it has full Tiagra groupset.

I'm not really fussed when it comes to the groupset, but I need at least Tiagra shifters as they use the same mechanism as the higher end shimano groupsets. Sora and 2200 work differently and require you to move your hands to shift gear down... or is it up? :)
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    If you can wait a few months more you may find some bargains from shops wanting to clear stock before the new 2009 versions become available.
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    I agree with ricadus in about a months time you will get a much better bike for your money. I got mine sept last year from Fred Williams and it was almost half price, just becauce it was an old model. I wasn't bother that it wasn't the latest model. (It looks a lot better, probably not as well specd but good enough for me)
    Justice for the 96
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Phixion wrote:
    I suggest the Specialized Allez Sport, it was originally £699 but it's been reduced to £599, it has full Tiagra groupset.

I'm not really fussed when it comes to the groupset, but I need at least Tiagra shifters as they use the same mechanism as the higher end shimano groupsets. Sora and 2200 work differently and require you to move your hands to shift gear down... or is it up? :)

The 2200 STI shifters use a thumb padal to go into higher gears and the brake lever (inwards) to go into a lower gear - budget groupset, but the thumb shifter part is quite nifty.
  • Phixion
    Phixion Posts: 81
    The Specialized Allez Sport has already been reduced to get rid of them - from £699 to £599 - I really don't see it coming much lower than that.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    im in the same boat as u i was looking to spend £600
    been to a cpl of local bike shops they all said to wait the price will drop but with limited stock they will go quick.
    im looking at this one. Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu Xenon – £595
    http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/

from here.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I've got an Allez Int'l with teh Sora STi shifters, and I think that the little button thingy to change gear is really nice to use.

But then again I've only test ridden one bike with teh higher end system.