Garmin Edge 205 or Polar CS200???

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Seem to be similar price. I'm a beginner and am thinking of going with the Garmin simply cos I'll want to do some longish and unfamiliar route soon so GPS would be nice. Any thoughts?

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    It depends whart you primarily want this for...
    HR & Cadence =>> Polar CS200cad.
    GPS/Navigation =>> Edge 205.
    Rich
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    As I have just gone from a CS200 to Garmin 305 I'd say defo go for the Garmin.

Training centre software is great and plotting your training against routes is great.

Love the virtual training partner as well.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I'm saving up for a Garmin. Primarily because of the navigation function. Some people say getting lost is part of the fun of cycling, personally I hate it. Carrying a carpet size map is also not an option in my opinion. The Garmin has some really useful training aids as well if that interests you. I don't know why more GPS Navigation manufacturers haven't come up with a cycle specific device as there must be a huge market. Garmin seem to have cornered the market hence prices are high.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • I bought the Garmin 305. I don't know what the 205 currently sells at, but my 305 was bought online at Halfords about 4 or 5 weeks ago. I got the 305 and the HR sensor for £139.99. It sells in store for £180.

At the minute I've only been using it for 'recording' my trips back & forth to work etc so haven't yet used most of the things it does, but I'm very happy with it and can vouch for its waterproofness.

From recommendations on here I use the SportTracks software which is excellent, and it's free.

If I had the choice again I would still buy the 305.

Richie
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Get the Edge 305, it's the best of both worlds!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live