Garmin Edge 205 GPS

owen908
owen908 Posts: 170
edited August 2008 in MTB general
Just bought one of these today. Wow they seem packed with lot of cool features ; probably half i'll never use :p. I bought it becuase it has some excellent training features such as the virtual partner. Should be fun! Anyone else have one of these and what are your thoughts and experieces?

DSCF2768.jpg

DSCF2769.jpg

Comments

• Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    I have the 305 which the only difference is the altimeter....

Absolutly fantastic, I never do a ride without it now.

I use mapmyride.com and memory map to find/create routes which you can upload to your unit to follow (and it does work!)

The magic happens when you download your ride to motionbased (Garmin Connect now) and you can see all the statistics of your riding, dont bother with training center, its bloody awful.

I dont use Virtual Partner, only because I havent tried! - Im more of a route finding/following rider. Should have a go during my week off next week!

My training involves creating a route with hills!! - Simple theory of getting my fat arse up a hill should make me fitter!

Overall you'll never regret it, great piece of kit, Im sure most (if not all) of those who have one will agree.

I can almost guarantee you will be up til the wee small hours plotting routes on various websites or software to get onto your Edge to follow!

Enjoy..
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Bmjboy wrote:
    I have the 305 which the only difference is the altimeter....

The other difference is that the Edge 305 can use heart rate and cadence monitors which the 205 can't. I also have 305 and, as above, great piece of kit and hate cycling without it.

There are however problems in that the unit software can be a bit flakey (screen goes blank or unit spontaneously powers off) and needs reseting and there can be problems with the batteries. Mine has been returned twice in the past year for warranty replacement - Garmin UK are excellent however in replacing and I have had mine returned within 3 days each time.

Lots of extra info and routes on motion based website http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=55.0
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    Just bought a 705 and hoping to give it an outing this weekend. God knows how many functions it has but I'm determined to use most of them if I can!
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    cjw wrote:
    There are however problems in that the unit software can be a bit flakey (screen goes blank or unit spontaneously powers off) and needs reseting and there can be problems with the batteries.

Never had a problem with mine (touch wood), sounds like some bad luck there.

The 705 is really nice, however, the maps arnt great, you really will be wanting a proper OS map on there after a while (like my mate is) - but the compatibility with OS maps isnt ready yet Im lead to believe.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    I went out with the Garmin 205 this morning and there are lots of features to get used too. The device seems to be really accurate and was logging my speed even when i was carrying the bike at 1.5 mph. I also like the elevation feature which measures the height aove sea level. So currently im at 450 ft but noticed at the peak of macc forrest was 1400 ft ! Initially i did doubt the stability of the gps when attached to the bike but it did seem to hold up well.

I just need to learn all of the feautres!
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    My 205 has worked flawlessly as well.

Two negatives about 205/305:

1) Can't show your position in national grid ref format. I liked this feature on my Garmin etrex as if you're out exploring with paper map, then you can confirm your position.

2) The calories counter appears to speak utter nonsense.