Snapped rotor bolt

karakoram
karakoram Posts: 38
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, I was fitting a new disc to my wheel today when the head snapped off one of the bolts when tightening it. I removed the rest of the bolts and the disc but am now left with the thread of the bolt stuck in the hub. What can I do to remove it easily? Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is there any bit sticking out? if yes cut a slot and use a screwdriver.

No drill a hole down the center and then put something in the hole to grip the sides and unscrew.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    If the thread stands proud of the hub, cut a slot into it with a hacksaw blade and use a screwdriver to remove it.

You can soften up the threadlock by pouring boiling water over the remaining thread too.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • karakoram
    karakoram Posts: 38
    Yeah the thread is sticking out so i'll try and use a screwdriver as suggested. Thanks
  • Get a good set of pliars and grip it and un screw try this before putting a slot into it, it should not be too tight, warm the thread with a warm air gun or hairdrier to loosen the lock tight before you do this, Clean the thread before fitting a new bolt and use a torqe wrench when tightening . Good luck

Its a dog eat dog :twisted:
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I agree with Billyounger, I'd try to grip what's left first (small mole grips are ideal), then I'd try slotting, and finally drilling and using an E-Z out.

You were very lucky that the head sheared before the threads stripped. Remember, hubs are made of aluminium.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • lego
    lego Posts: 769
    Did you have any joy karakorham ?