Helmet Strap Removal

chriskempton
chriskempton Posts: 1,245
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
My helmet honks :shock: and I want to wash the straps. Does anyone know how to get the straps out of a Bell Sweep R?

I had a good go last night, but had to give up in depair and just wash the pads.

Anybody managed it?

Comments

• tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    hand wash is situ? I assume the rest of the helmet is just foam/plastic so I don't see any problem with getting it wet.......
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont know about a bell helmet but all the helmets I have had it is impossible to get the straps out I think that is part of the design get yourself 2 lids and swap regulary.

As for cleaning get yourself a delicates washing bag (its a mesh bag with a zip closer) and chuck your helmet pads in and wash with your cycling gear in the machine. For the straps and the inside of the helmet I sponge it all down with warm water and a bit of washing machine detergent in the sink rinse with warm water and leave to drip dry.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I just rinse my straps and pads after each ride. Helps that I dont ride every day !
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    i clean my helmet daily :twisted:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Which reminds me of the MTB race I did once, and the organiser held up the start for a latecomer.

'We'll be off as soon as the guy with the purple helmet turns up !'

Fnaaaaaaaaaar !
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    I've just finished polishing mine.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Washed my helmet under the shower with hot water and needed new pads which i blagged from LBS. The amount of cr@p that came out of the straps was frightening. Ended up removing them totally and washing in the sink before I done the dishes. Took me 10 mins to get the strap back on the helmet and another 2 hours of fiddling to get the straps to feel right :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Washing a helmet....?

Now you mention it, it might be nice to get rid of some of the salt build up on the straps, they look more white than black atm. But then that usually disappears as soon as the rain comes :)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • y tin
    y tin Posts: 102
    My helmet honks :shock: and I want to wash the straps. Does anyone know how to get the straps out of a Bell Sweep R?

I had a good go last night, but had to give up in depair and just wash the pads.

Anybody managed it?

Yeah, it can be done. I've done it with my sweep R. Washed the straps in the washing machine. Bit fiddly but worth it. Just remember(take a pic with yer phone) of what the straps look like in-situ so you get it back together correctly.
    >^..^<
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    i clean my helmet daily :twisted:

Fnarr fnarr
    unclefred wrote:
    I've just finished polishing mine.

Oh Matron!

I have 2 Helmets, WAHEY :roll:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    i love the salty taste you get when you havent cleaned your helmet for a while then it rains! :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • chriskempton
    y tin,

How did you get the straps out of your Sweep R? I tried for ages and had to give up.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    y tin,

How did you get the straps out of your Sweep R? I tried for ages and had to give up.

scissors.jpg:lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Bung it in the machine with the rest of your kit - its only man-made stuff. Do mine often.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • y tin
    y tin Posts: 102
    y tin,

Can't remember, did it way back in February, after the winter.
    But there was no cutting with scissors involved. I'll take a look at it over the weekend, to remind me how, and report back. Think you've got tostart with pushing the strap and plastic end thingy on the lid out the top and then taking the plastic thingy off.
    >^..^<
  • chriskempton
    Thanks I'd appreciate asome help. I got as far as pushing the two shark fin shaped plastic bits out the top, but then got stuck trying to detach the straps from the fin-shape bits.....
  • Grifcp
    Grifcp Posts: 283
    The sharks fin bits are sewn to the straps so can not be removed. You remove the straps through the top (as you have done already)....you just need to remove the plastic clasp and adjusting clamp thingy from the straps, and feed the straps through the top. Wash with plastic sharks fin thingy in place and reassemble in order for Rob to be your Dad's bro!!
    HTH :)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Chuck the helmet in the shower ! Works a treat ! Also use a skull cap or buff to help with the sweat soak !!! - I have thin scull caps for soaking up the sweat ! -Works a treat of hot commutes !