Importing a bike

keith0066
keith0066 Posts: 19
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
Anyone know anything about importing a bike from abroad, probably the USA as the stuff over there seems to be the same in $ as it is here in £.

So if i spend $2500 i could be saving about £1200, less shipping and any duty/taxes.

I'm thinking of something reasonably nice, Santa Cruz, Marin etc.

I've seem some stuff on E-bay but the buyer protection is not enough with pay-pal and some of them won't ship.

Comments

• keith0066
    keith0066 Posts: 19
    That's excellent stuff, but a couple of problems

i don't really know anyone in the USA

i contacted on Santa Cruz dealer advertising Hecklers for between $1500 and $2000 (depending on spec) and they don't have a Santa Cruz mail order or distance shipping agreement so would not ship to the UK, anyone know ones that do or might.
  • mariner71
    mariner71 Posts: 33
    you may find all the decent bike vendors have franchise contracts preventing this sort of thing.

Just look in the back of WMB & MBUK, there are loads of deals and with new season in Sept Oct there will be even more pretty soon. You can pick up decent bikes at almost half price without the import hassle and more importantly with UK warranty.

Also, if you like Marin check out ATB sales ex demo or ex show bikes http://store.atb-sales.co.uk/acatalog/Marin.html

A
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is unlikely that you will get anyone to send you a SC as there is a distributor in the UK.

Please also note that your warranty is with the Vendor. so if anything goes wrong you will have to ship it back to the USA. they Guys in the UK do not have to do a thing.

So if you really want a SC keep saving.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Or save even more money by buying a secondhand SC from the US and getting it shipped over, just make sure you can afford the tax if you have to pay it - and reconcile yourself to not having a warranty.

Also, and others may correct me here, I believe bike parts attract a lower rate of import duty than complete bikes - so you might want to consider buying a frame and forks separately and speccing them up with kit you've sourced from the UK.

Or just follow Mariner's advice and shop around in the sales. That's what I'd do for a full bike/frame - but I have bought forks from the US twice as the prices are too good to ignore.
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    Chaka Ping wrote:
    , and others may correct me here, I believe bike parts attract a lower rate of import duty than complete bikes - so you might want to consider buying a frame and forks separately and speccing them up with kit you've sourced from the UK.

I considered importing a frame 6 months ago and it turned out to be a pain in the ****! I contacted Customs and although they were extremely helpful, you have to know all the category numbers that the components you with to import fall in to. These can be found online but it is quite time consuming.

As I was only planning to import a frame I had to know the exact material and grade of the tubing, how it had been coated and finished and the weight. This was pretty simple but if your importing several items it could be a nightmare...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    In my experince when the £$ was more in the favour of $ you would end up paying UK prices with taxes/duty. If the royal mail deliver the package(s) they will need £8 to collect the import duty.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.