What Helmet??

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2008 in MTB general
Ok, i need a new helmet as i've managed to get another week outa my temp job and the one i have now sucks.....
There are a few factors that i would like to cover though..

1) has lots of ventilation...i'm a sweaty bugger and need something to keep me safe, yet cool.
2) i don't wanna spend more than £35 ideally. I know the more you spend the better the kit but £35 is all i can realisticaly afford atm :(
3) Its mainly gonna be for XC, trails and probably for commuting when i head back to uni so the lighter the better (not full face!!!)
4) color.....black or dark silver if possible but i'm not that fussy.

orrrrr if anybody can find me the Giro Hex in black and orange for under £40 that'd be grand....really like the look of that helmet, but i dunno how it would fare ventilation wise :(

I've been looking at the Met Falco, but was wondering what you guys use, how much they cost, and how you rate them :)

Taa
B

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I have a Bell Sola.

Cost just £20 quid

Does the job, well ventalated and most of all fits

Go to your LBS and try some on
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    Would recommend the Hex aswell, fits comfortably, well ventilated and seemed to deal well when I went head on into a tree.

Go to an LBS and try a few on ideally, you want one that fits right.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    orrrrr if anybody can find me the Giro Hex in black and orange for under £40 that'd be grand....really like the look of that helmet, but i dunno how it would fare ventilation wise :(
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Giro_ ... 360032480/
    And I had a hex, got me through 3 pretty bad crashes.
    1st wasn't too bad so kept the helmet
    2nd was onto my head going through a granite rock garden
    was going to replace it and had a 3rd crash when a funny shaped jump tipped me over the bars
    Nice n cool and kept protecting.
    Now I've got a new helmet though...

Another Hex.
  • Definitely hex - ventilation is good, pretty light for the cost and looks good. Also one of the few helmets that fitted my oddly shaped head well.

When i was looking for a helmet, i found that you would only spend the extra money on the brand (Fox is notoriously expensive) and the amount of ventilation. The hex bridges this gap beuatifully in my opinion
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Another vote for Hex.

All Terrain Cycles - £34

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/103388.html
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    If you need lots of ventilation, stretch your budget and go for a Bell Sweep XC - worth every penny, so light, comfy and cool!

I thought it was an outrageous amount to spend at first but I'd do it again now!
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Happy with my Giro Havoc
  • ooo wicked find on that hex guys :D think i might just invest right now....at 1:47am :D...geez i've been awake 72 hours now :(
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Nasty. Any particular reason for it or do you enjoy sleep deprivation?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • been to london for a long weekend from blackpool....7hours there and back on the bus (awful) and then a constant party cus we've just moved into a house for the last year at uni :D

finally did get sleep last night but got woken up by a baby magpie running up and down the sil outside my bedroom window, screeching and pecking on it too!! GRRR!!! lol..

Feel refreshed now tho so i'm gonna go buy some nuts for tha bike n i'm off ooooot!!
  • i'm stuck, at what size to get...just measured my head and its 23inch circumference....lol! which means i could get either the medium or large....damn my bloody head :(
  • i'm stuck, at what size to get...just measured my head and its 23inch circumference....lol! which means i could get either the medium or large....damn my bloody head :(
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Try a Hex / Xen even better but if you need a XC/Freeride with a chin guard
    take a look at the Met Parachute this is not a Downhill helmet
    and has plenty of ventalation.