Wearing Tights for XC

2»

Comments

• manc_ian
    manc_ian Posts: 166
    Tights came today. Ive never worn anythin like em before so its gonna take me a few rides to get used to them.

Really daft question - Are you supposed to wear anything under the tights like boxers or is that what the anti-bacterial thing is for? :?
  • fumps
    fumps Posts: 227
    with out the boxers mate.

Otherwise you'll have a non breathing layer under a breatherble one.

I did that once got a bit errghhh i'll stop there
    Arrrghhh it's worse than i thought!!!!!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Go commando mate then there's no unsightly panty line :lol:

How do they fit?
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • manc_ian
    manc_ian Posts: 166
    Ive never worn them before so im not really sure how they are supposed to feel. The shoulders straps felt a bit tight at first but i kept em on for a bit and then got used to the feel. Overall do feel comfy and can tell they will keep me warm. Im gonna go for an early mornin ride on sunday and give em a test. Oh yer, and without boxers on. :P
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Ron Hill Bikesters are a good comprise if you don't have the confidence or the legs for tights. Plus they cost about £10 from Wiggle.
  • djdime
    djdime Posts: 48
    this thread is really interesting as i have been thinking about buying for ages - again - havent got the bottle to wear tights but im going to take the plunge.

Just out of interest, what do you all wear up top?
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    djdime wrote:
    this thread is really interesting as i have been thinking about buying for ages - again - havent got the bottle to wear tights but im going to take the plunge.

Just out of interest, what do you all wear up top?

Seeing as I look strange enough on the bike anway (helmet, top, camelbak, shoes) I thought what the hell - the tights aren't that much worse :wink:

On top; Either Endura FS260 (short sleeve) or Endura MT500 (long sleve) and Gill Freedom Jacket for the wind / rain.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Bazzowmb
    Bazzowmb Posts: 227
    Do all you guys wear the thicker Merston tights in the winter?

I must admit I was considering 3/4 Earnleys as I never seem to get that cold when riding. Last winter I got by using Ron Hill jogging bottoms under my baggies which seemed to do the job, how would these compare with the 2 different materials DHB do their tights in?

Do I go for the Merston or Earnley?
  • Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    I got specialized ones for 50.00 comfy as hell!

Wear baggies over em may make you feel slightly less conscious than without em

Am gonna go without the baggies now tho I think as they starting to collect water and gain about 3lbs during a ride!!!!

Who cares what I look like!! :shock:
  • Decathlon do XC specific bib/tights with extra padding on the legs.shins:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rr8-bib-tights-25269521/

I was tempted.
    Fat bloke, on a nice-ish bike.
  • Endura bib long tights had some for about a year and they are great, water just beeds on them .i only use them when its chilly or cold
    some times i dont know wether to wear shorts or longs ,when you leave the house, i judge it by how cold it feels while loading up my bike. even if mates have shorts i do what i feel is best for me on the day.

Touch to much :twisted:
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I've worn my bib tights all summer, seems to keep the temps even, on hot climbs it's warmer but when on the downhills it keeps the cool out, stops nettles etc.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I bought some leg and arm warmers for my trip to Iceland last year...when you get too hot you just remove them, rather than either carrying a spare set or becoming 'boil in the bag' :)

I reckon that's your most practical solution :)
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    fumps wrote:
    lol

Sorry but all i can think of when i see the name for this thread is that "Driving a truck with my high heels on " tune off radio one

I was reading it and singing that song ....now the rest of my office is singing it as well

if no one knows this song please ignore i know its a random comment

Ah, the joys of Weird Al Yankovic...whattaguy! Running With Scissors is my favourite Weird Al album, not only does it have the aforementioned truck driving song, it also features such masterpieces as, "The Saga Begins' (the plot to The Phantom Menance sung to American Pie) and "Pretty Fly for a Rabbi".

Anyhoo, I bought some Trek leg warmers last year. Whether it's though toning up a little thanks to the biking, or just through repeated washing, the leg warmers now have a tendancy to collect around my ankles in a distinctly Nora-Batty-esque fashion. Plus the rubbery grips around the top have started to disintergrate - anyone know if this happens with all leg warmers after a while?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    personally I prefer stockings, or hold-ups for, hang on, what forum is this again? :lol:

When the really cold weather comes (usually arrives at about august, but only lasts until august) I wear my Ron hill tracksters underneath my baggy combats. keeps me snug as a bug. The combats keep the wind, hail, rain and whatever else off, and the Ron Hills keep the warm in. if you see what I mean.

And just to prove that I do ride in all weather and that I'm not just some quarry riding hooligan, here's proof........... :lol: (and yes, that is real snow)

in%20the%20snow.jpg
  • tomxc
    tomxc Posts: 139
    i was just wondering about lycra shorts...for mtb is there a certain lenght they should be? i got my from tesco :oops: and they fit more like boxers(although they are pretty tight)
    up, up, up, down, up, up, down, up, dowwwn...yep sounds good to me :)
    http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/ ... MG0201.jpg
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    tomxc wrote:
    i was just wondering about lycra shorts...for mtb is there a certain lenght they should be? i got my from tesco :oops: and they fit more like boxers(although they are pretty tight)
    generaly you have a point of no return that id the shorts sit above then the curve of your legs will make them ride up in to your crotch and couse rubbing ( and not hte good type)
    If your shorts dont ride up and you can ride in them with out complaint then they are fine.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • tomxc
    tomxc Posts: 139
    ok thanks :D
    up, up, up, down, up, up, down, up, dowwwn...yep sounds good to me :)
    http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/ ... MG0201.jpg
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I just wear my knee pads on lighter trails when it's cold.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    IIRC aren't you supopsed to keep your knees covered if the ambient temperature is less than 18 degrees celcius?
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    fumps wrote:
    Whether it's though toning up a little thanks to the biking, or just through repeated washing, the leg warmers now have a tendancy to collect around my ankles in a distinctly Nora-Batty-esque fashion. Plus the rubbery grips around the top have started to disintergrate - anyone know if this happens with all leg warmers after a while?

I've experienced the Nora Batty effect and put it down to my legs being more toned and I pull the leg warmers a little higher, not Simon Cowell high but you know what I mean! I've had my warmers for around 12 months now and mainly use them for racing in so they do get some stick, so far they've been spot on. I can provide the make if you like? Can't remember off the top of my head...
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk