Carrera Banshee 08

holman210
holman210 Posts: 108
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all

I stopped riding bikes about 4 years ago when I passed my driving test. I wanted to get back into it so i bought a Saracen Mantra 1. It was only £200 ex-display at halfords and it looked really good so I had it.

Only thing is it was a bit of an impulse buy and now I dont really like it. Mainly I dont like the black board paint job, the noisey gears and bottom bracket. Dont get me wrong its fine for what I use it for and it looks great but I want something a bit better now.

I saw this one in halfords the other day and I like it. I really like the look of the full suspension bikes and the nice ride. Although I know it will have its disadvantages being a relatively cheap FS bike, weight and cheaper components. The spec list dont look that bad for the price though. If I bought it I would probably change the gearing to XT and the bottom bracket/crank to a hollowtech system in time. I only really use the bike on roads but will be planning to do some off road (not DH) trekking, other then that I feel (not being a pro) that this setup will do me fine until I started taking it more seriously.

Thanks for reading all that lol any thoughts on this one? Does anyone know if this has Lock out on the rear or front? I didnt think 20kg was that bad actually for a FS bike.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_272661_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_82395_crumb_33980-33957_parentcategoryrn_82395#BVQAWidgetID
Felt Virtue 4 - Fox RP23 PD - FSA Carbon Pro handle bars - SLX Brakes 180/160mm rotors - DT Swiss XMC130 - SLX rear mech and shifters - Titanium bolts - Mavic Crossrides 09 - Thomson stem - Hope SS Bottom bracket - SLX crankset

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    20kg (44lbs) is very heavy for a F/S bike!

No lockout on either the shock or fork.

A £500 hardtail will weigh approx 14kg (30lbs)

For what you will be using a bike for a hardtail is a much better option £500 will get you a very good hardtail like the Carrera Fury, or a GT.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • holman210
    would I be right in saying that the Fury is basically the same as the banshee but a hardtail 6kgs lighter? I did see this one down there but it was the FS that looks better (in my eyes) but I would like something lighter.
    Felt Virtue 4 - Fox RP23 PD - FSA Carbon Pro handle bars - SLX Brakes 180/160mm rotors - DT Swiss XMC130 - SLX rear mech and shifters - Titanium bolts - Mavic Crossrides 09 - Thomson stem - Hope SS Bottom bracket - SLX crankset
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Nope, completely different frame on the Fury, it has double butted frame tubing (makes it lighter without sacrificing strength), designed for xc/trail riding rather than All mountain riding (xc/trail is more or less the type of riding you say you will be doing)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • holman210
    I shall go and have another look I think lol Plus I just read that my Mantra 1 I have now is 18kg not too sure if I wanted heavier then that! thanks
  • xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    For that money Full Sussers are not worth it. But you can get and excellent Hardtail, that would be your best bet, especially for the type of riding you're likely to do.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Stick to a hardtail. You'll get more kicks out of it and find it more useable more of the time than Banshee. It strikes me as a bike for aesthetic not for actual riding. You've mentioned that you would be willing to upgrade - well save that money and put it to a better bike as buying upgrades is more expensive than buying a bike with them allready on. The Banshee isn't a bike worth upgrading.
    look at something like this; http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b7s2p1552 Has no obvious weak points and will serve you well on and off road. Stick to bikes with short travel - 100mm and hydraulic disc brakes are always a boon.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I agree !! A hardtail is the only sensible option at £500 !! I have the 2007 Fury and with a few upgrades its a great XC bike !
  • holman210
    thanks for your replys. I went and had another look today I the banshee I wanted had mech disc brakes not hydro which I wanted. And looking at the components closer there not all that.

I am looking at the fury now as recommended. Although they had a Carerra Krakern which I think I may end up with. At £399 its not pushing my budget. I really like the idea of the remote lockout, something different to what im used to. This Kracken is basically a slightly watered down version of the fury. They both host the same frame and brakes, the only real difference is the front shocks and the rear mech. Personally I dont think I would notice the difference between the 2 bikes, so its not worth the extra £100. That £100 would get me my hollowtech bottom braket (or simular)

Thanks again!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_273305_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_106166_crumb_33980-33957-106165_parentcategoryrn_106166
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I really think that you would notice the difference between the two forks. The Fury is a much better package overall.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I think the fork makes the biggest difference to your riding over the other components. The Tora 318 on the Fury is a far superior fork boasting a U-Turn to adjust the travel from 85-130mm, Motion Control, Adjustable Rebound Damping, & Lock-out.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    U-turn is a great feature on a bike imo if you do varied stuff. I've just got the 302 tora. same as the 318 just without motion control.

Using mine to commute requires some road, then a go through the woods, hill climbing and a bit of really rough hard pack brick and rubble. U-turn gives you the abillity to quickly change the bike to deal with anything. Can set it to 85mm or lockout on road depending on how smooth it is, riding on the cobble stuff I might get thrown off at the speed that i've been doing it if I couldn't then switch to 130mm (nearly found this out last night when I didn't extend the fork :lol: ). The range in between can then be tuned to pretty much anything.
  • I have the BansheeX 07 and I use it for Downhill, XC and Dirt Jumping all the time without any problems whatsoever!

I'd reccomend the BansheeX 07 over the 08, as it has rear lockout, its lighter, its cheaper, and pretty much all the parts are better :P
  • holman210
    thanks again, I have always had very low/medium spec bikes. The bike I have now has RST Gila T6 forks and i think there amazing lol so much better then I have had in the past. With that in mind surley these SR Suntours are going to be another step up rather then back and save myself £100.

Dont get me wrong Im not ruling the Fury out just to save £100 I would love to have the better forks but if thats only the main difference then I think I would rather save the money. Just putting my old bike on ebay now so I shall see how much I get.

Does anyone know if you can add remote lockout on as an extra? Like a kit?

Thanks
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    I dont thing the forks and the rear mech are the only differences between the two.

The frame's are not the same, the wheels are different and I think the disc brakes are a higher spec on the Fury. On mine the brakes are Auriga Comp.

The review is for the 2007 model, the 08 model looks better in my opinion, although most components are the same.

I would spend the extra £100 and get a new chainset in a year or two.

Chris
  • holman210 wrote:
    thanks again, I have always had very low/medium spec bikes. The bike I have now has RST Gila T6 forks and i think there amazing lol so much better then I have had in the past. With that in mind surley these SR Suntours are going to be another step up rather then back and save myself £100.

Dont get me wrong Im not ruling the Fury out just to save £100 I would love to have the better forks but if thats only the main difference then I think I would rather save the money. Just putting my old bike on ebay now so I shall see how much I get.

Does anyone know if you can add remote lockout on as an extra? Like a kit?

Thanks

My mate has RST Gila T7 forks, and quite frankly they are worst forks I have ever witnessed! They have 130mm travel and no matter how hard I slam his bike they'll only use 20mm of it. I have some Marzocchi All-Mountain 4's at the moment, but I think I've let too much air out because I can actually push them right down to the bottom :? (140mm travel)... maybe I just prefer soft forks.
  • holman210
    They could be the WORST forks ever made. but because I have only ever had low spec bikes there a dream lol 20mm isnt much is it. I can get mine about half way but I have never tried changing the settings!
  • holman210
    I think one things certain I wont be getting the Banshee. Seems that no one likes them. Not even sure if I do now! Unless I find something in the meantime its fury or kraken. Thanks for all the replies, this website has been really helpful, not had much luck with others
  • The Fury is a good choice, the Banshee weighs an absolute ton! You could also look at the GT avalanche 1.0 the best 2 sub £500 bikes there are.
  • Banshee weighs a ton? Pff! You try lugging a Giant Glory up a hill!
  • MTBLee
    MTBLee Posts: 23
    For that money I'd take a look at the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1, weights around 12kg.

I bought one about a month ago and I love it, very light and sturdy bike with some top components, hydro brakes Rockshox suspension with lockout, I looked at the equivelent GT's but this came out on top for me.

Worth a look anyways.
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1
  • there meant to be corkers for price and best full sus for less than a grand.
    if u have money now and want it pretty quick get a sale bike off the web. CRC and Evans have some good deals
  • holman210
    Hey

I found this one. its £20 more then the Fury. is it any better?

Thanks

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/10875/Giant_XTC_35_Bike_2007
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I'm another one with the 07 Banshee X.

I completely agree these are heavy bikes which aren't a huge amount of fun uphill (what is :lol: ) but I have to defend it for the way it goes down. I'm a trail centre rider and there's nothing I've thrown at it that it hasn't coped with.

Fairly sure I wouldn't want an 08 standard Banshee but the X or especially the XXX this year, that's a different story.

They always seem to do fairly well in group tests but a lot of people just wouldn't consider such a heavy FS over a HT (the amount of weight I need to lose I can't complain about bike weight!). I like the 6 inch travel at the back of this bike and there's not many HTs have kept up with me over the rough stuff.

On the negative side it does seem to have needed a fair few bits replaced/upgraded but I do ride it hard and I'm not exactly light weight :wink:
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • holman210
    Hi all

Just a quick update. I bought my bike today! I found a Carrera Banshee X 07 on ebay going cheap, £350ono I thought it was a good price for the bike so I went to view it.

I emailed the seller a few times asking about the condition and he said is very good but has a few scrathes on the handle bars and a cracked cog on the rear cogs. I was ok with that because of the price I had money spare to upgrade these bits. Bearing in mind I live in Sittingbourne, Kent and the bike lived in Bognor Regis it was a 2 hour drive at least each way! I got there and my heart just sank and hit the deck I cant believe I wasted my time coming all this way.

It was totally knackered! All the pivot joints had rusty bolts all loose, the rear mech was bent and only went in 3 gears! He had removed the front mech so the bike had a total of 3 gears! The front forks had no air in them, the tyres were bald. I was pissed off I can tell you.

After that, heading home stopped off at a Halfords just to have a look and they were just putting out the new Carrera Kraken Limited Edition 09. I loved it and had to have it lol For the price I dont think it was a bad buy. At £430 its got Avid Juicy 3 front and rear hydro brakes and Rock Shox Dart 2. ALthough the rear and front mech WILL be replaced quickly. SRAM X-5 front and back but there noisey and unresponsive, although I like the shifters. I think the bottom bracket is creaking and the rotors are rubbing. So its not totally ready but Im working for a week now.

I shall post full spec with photos soon as. Does anyone know where I can Host photos to link to this forum?

Thanks
  • holman210
    Hi

Heres some photos of my bike, not very good but you get the picture.

Bike2-1.jpg

Bike1.jpg
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    If the BB creaks take it back and get them to sort it out.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    Good looking bike, but definately take it back to get the BB sorted. If it's creaking already there's a problem.

A much better choice than the Banshee, I wish you many happy hours chucking it round the trails.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • holman210
    Thanks I like it too i think its slightly different from the norm with the black and white contrast, probably be a pain too keep clean no doubt.

I have a 15mile ride tomorrow (weather permitting) so I shall see whats what. I had the same problem with my previous bike turned out it was the seat creaking, but not sure this time as im sure I can feel it in the pedals/cranks.

Thanks
  • Have you saved enough money to buy some wallpaper? :wink:
    Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional!