IS this a good bike for jumps if i just started out?

James.xv
James.xv Posts: 22
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi i just resonantly got back into biking and i am intrested in getting a jump bike! I was wondering if this is any good?
Saracen X1 Disc
Do you no anywhere i can get it cheaply? as i don't have a lot of money! If it's not a good starters bike any suggestions? plz note i am only 15 and i don't have alot of money no more than £200 but less would be great!

Thanks guys

Comments

• munky_boi
    munky_boi Posts: 78
    hav u considered the giant stp 2, its £295 which seems possible and i think would be better than the saracen personally
  • James.xv
    you see i would but i am on paperound money and thts not alot so £200 is quite alot to get so is tht 1 ok or is there any better 1's for a good price?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Save up, in the long run the Saracen X1 will cost you more in broken parts, it's not a proper jump bike, just a bike that looks like a jump bike.

Saracen do proper jump bikes like the Amplitude range from £300, or as above the Giant STP, they are proper jump bikes designed for jumping.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • munky_boi
    lol save up another £100 and th options increase vastly, but in my opinion zoom forks r a mistake and you'll want to update them soon, so ur best option would probably be a second hand kona shred from say 2006. However if u want to buy first hand i can't find anything much better than that for the price.
  • James.xv
    i also wanted a bike so i could do it like make it single speed and change the colour of it! make it more personal but i didnt wanna spend load as becoz i'm learning and all i think i probally will be falling off alot and wouldnt want to dent a £300 bike!
  • Andy B
    You will spend less in the long run if you buy a £300 bike too start with, dent's are like scar's, they remind you of how not to do something.

I have £2500's worth of bike, it's a bike for riding & having fun, not for keeping in pristine condition like in an art gallery, damage will occur if you ride a bike, it's just a fact of life.
  • James.xv
    ok so were can i get a desent bike mum doesnt reli like using here credit card on the net. but i could for a could price so a bike thts good and for a good price? single speed if possible!
  • Andy B
    Have you looked/asked in your local bike shops?

The internet is a safe place if you use a reputable company & credit cards are the safest way to pay online.
  • James.xv
    not sure wat i'm looking 4 i just wanna bike thts good to they street tricks and tht can be updated as i get better! single speed would be best as i want to do bmx tricks aswell as mtb 1's! and make doesnt bother me eather as i will be considering changing colour! as i just want a colour no names!
  • munky_boi
    have u considered 24" wheel bike, they maight turn out a little cheaper if u search
  • James.xv
    so wats a good shop then?
  • munky_boi
    evans cycles is good
  • James.xv
    ok any cheaper shops i hav there catoulouge there a little pricyer than others
  • munky_boi
    chainreactioncycles.com is a cheap and reliable website with free first class delivery so id recommend that
  • James.xv
    u got a couple of suggestions of bikes?no more than £300 lest would be great
    thnks
  • pandy
    pandy Posts: 14
    you can try Rutland cycling they have cheap prices and deals on certain bikes like konas and scotts and there sales are on so most bikes like jump bikes will be cheaper than normal :D
  • brownix
    brownix Posts: 115
    ebay?? you can get cheap stuff from there
  • i can vouch for sunset mtb in cardiff.

had mine delivered up here about 3 weeks ago now. bike was setup well and on time. not sure if they have want you want but it's obviously worth a look.

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/
  • James.xv
    so wat do we think to the Mongoose 2008 Fireball 24" wheel? £200 from sunsetmtb
  • i wouldnt bother with it. thats not a jump bike either, more of a kiddies bike.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15485 what about that?upgrade when you need to, buy sus ect when you can afford it.
  • James.xv
    i would but i tied it withotu suspsion today not very good! i talked to my mum and we could go up 2 £300 so any good bikes back disc break front suspesion, single speed. thts really it
  • not for 300 really, unless you look secondhand
  • i made a mistake of buying a saracen xcell off ebay and i now have a kona shred! and that was given to me free from a frend