Comfy shorts

heavy_rat
heavy_rat Posts: 264
edited July 2008 in MTB general
I'm off to Peru soon for a couple of weeks and will be spending a lot of time in the saddle. I need some decent shorts that aren't going to chafe me.

Recentlly I was on a longish ride (8 hours odd) and my arse was in a bad way. The chafing caused by Fox Epic shorts left me walking like John wayne for a few days after. The pain was excruiating. I'm not sure what the problem was, whether it was a bad seating position or whether I got too sweaty or what. The Fox shorts weren't exaclty cheap either. But if I'm going to be cycling 10-12 days in a row I can't have that again.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be very welcomed/

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    firstly, the basics, what else are you wearing on your arse.

Are you washing them between rides?

I take it you've moulded your arse to the saddle?
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    for 8 hours good shorts are not going to cut it alone. what you need is cream....... get some udder cream.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • heavy_rat
    The Fox shorts come with a detachable liner with shamois built in. They were clean on that day I had trouble, but i've not washed them since.#

Cream, yes sounds good. Is udder cream the brand name?
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    udder cream is a bran dname and you can get it from wiggle, some of the other online stores will have it as well. Any oily lubricating cream will help its a bit of a funny feeling when you first put them on but it will save your bum from alot of hte friction. remember that when you are out on a multiday treak that you must wash your shorts every day between rides or use a fresh shorts, or you will get infrctions in ot any bits of rash that you get and if things go realy bad you may end up un able to ride because of it.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • heavy_rat
    good advice, thanks
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Assos chamois cream is good too, apply it straight to your undercarriage
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    sudocreme.....cheap and available from most chemists does the job nicely.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.