Stronger Wheels - What options do I have?

sarkmeister
sarkmeister Posts: 142
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
Morning

I recently got into mountain biking after buying a Trek 6500 Disc. Mostly started off with paths/towpaths but have recently started regularly visiting trail centres (Llandegla/Sherwood Pines mainly) and doing some of the more interesting runs (did the red run last ngith at Llandegla).

Basically im pretty heavy (vary between 15 and 17 stone ish), so was wondering whether a stronger set of wheels would be a good purchase before the ones I have give way and send me head first into a ravine? :shock:

What options are available? I probably have between £100 and £200 to spend.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
Orange Crush 2010
Trek 1.5c

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get your current ones looked at first and make sure they are in good condition and they will manage most things.

then for the new ones tubed or tubeless?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    819 on xt hubs db spokes from merlin. reasonably light, strong and the option for ust in the future...
  • sarkmeister
    819 on xt hubs db spokes from merlin. reasonably light, strong and the option for ust in the future...
    Cheers for the suggestion......however

Im new to this biking lark so the above doesnt mean much to me..... :?

any chance anyone can post a link to the above item? Or is it 3 different items that i need to get built up?

On a similar topic, im going to get some better tyres as well. Im thinking Panaracer Fire XC, they seem to be highly rated. Good choice for this kind of riding? :)
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    Go for a wider set of Mavics, the 819's may be a little narrow - I am a similar weight and prefer the 321's which are that little bit wider. I have a set of Mavics for sale, brand new, they are wider still but together with the tyres on them will easily eat up this sort of riding you do throws at you. I'll P you thr details.
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    merlincycles website,

custom disc wheels, you'll need to do front and rear separately,
    rims: mavic xm819 (i really don't think you need anything wider, I'm about to run 2.3" on these but if you feel you might want wide 823/721 (for ust or not))
    hubs: shimano xt
    spokes: dt swiss DB SS spokes

don't forget you'll need rim tape (i use duck tape...)
  • sarkmeister
    merlincycles website,

custom disc wheels, you'll need to do front and rear separately,
    rims: mavic xm819 (i really don't think you need anything wider, I'm about to run 2.3" on these but if you feel you might want wide 823/721 (for ust or not))
    hubs: shimano xt
    spokes: dt swiss DB SS spokes

don't forget you'll need rim tape (i use duck tape...)
    Cheers for that, ill go and cost them up now..... :D
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c