Scale or Taurine

duckers
duckers Posts: 167
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for a new carbon MTB to handle XC riding (not racing), should be capable of carrying my < 12 stone frame across all manner of terrain, I dont intentionally jump or throw the bike off drop off's but thats not to say I never do so it must be capable of handling that... I like a bike to feel as direct as possible,, if I put the hammer down I expect it to respond, but also expect it to be equally happy at low speeds requiring balance and grip (super steep climbs for example)

Any advice on the 2 options are welcome, plus any other sugestions you have. I was set on getting a scale 20 until I read reviews of the Taurine, so you might throw some other ideas worth considering into the mix....

Comments

• Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    I've got a scale 20, and I love the really touch n go steep technical rooty / pebbley climbs. The scale is my weapon of choice for such climbs
    Not giving in to over stereo-typing but I would expect more value for money on the scott as oppossed to the cannondale.
    Both bike will be awesome, I can vouch for one, but I take it as read that the cannondale will also be fantastic.
  • duckers
    duckers Posts: 167
    My budget is whatever it takes to get the right new bike!!! I was originally planning to purchase a medium 2008 scale 20 once the sale offers kick in, I like the XT / XTR / fox kit and have sized / ridden one and it feels like a lighter, more responsive version of my current bike (2000 Trek 8500, one awesome, super tough machine, if a little heavy by modern standards).

I would consider anything up to a scale 10 / Taurine 1, and actually have the chance to get a medium 2008 Taurine 1 for a really good deal at the moment (about the same price as a taurine 3 believe it or not!!!) but am currently trying to find a Taurine 1 in a local shop to try it for size / feel but am not having much look.

What attracts me to the scott is its traditional looks and geometry, what puts me off the scale is Scott's limited warranty where as the cannondale has an unlimited warranty but I am unsure about the geometry and definitely unsure about the carbon lefty (very short recommended maintenance cycle, strength).

What makes it worse is the taurine 3 and scale 30 are reviewed on this site but they both get the same mark, making it even more difficult to choose!! does anyone know what mag the review is taken from? I might pick it up toorrow for the final oppinion....

As a side note, if I dont purchase the cannondale I am sure the guy selling it would be happy for me to pass on your details (I'll ask him first, he's had trouble getting what he's looking for so has dropped the price), so please, if anyone is interested PM me, or post your details here and I will keep you posted and put you in touch if I dont go for it.
  • Hi, I always rode Scott for many years and have a Scale 35 2008 which i loved, until I bought a 2008 Taurine 3 secondhand and cannot fault it. Now my Scott sits in the garage or my wife rides it. Its stiff, tranfers power immediately to the wheels and climbs up descents like "a mountain goat". I also had a problem with Scott and their warranty but cannondale has a lifetime warranty with the original owner/buyer and a no weight restriction. (as I am 14 1/2 stone). Try the Taurine out and you will see the what you think.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    For what its worth, I've recently tried both of them and the top tube of the taurine was much longer for the same size than the scotts. It's such a noticeable difference that you'd have to try them against each other to see which you prefer.

I preferred the Scott overall though .
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I've got a scott scale 10 (2007 model) and it is a stunning machine.

Haven't tried a Taurine though so can't compare.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Double post :?
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    My flatmate has the scale 30 and loves it and about a month ago a mate of his who used to ride trials competitively came round and was tooling round on it for a good half day.

The scale took a beating to say the least and it came through with flying colours. No buckled rims, scratches chips etc. His mate was actually really impressed with it and how easily he could throw it around, though I have the feeling the guy wouldnt have had much trouble throwing anything around.

Anyway just another string to its bow in my eyes anyway.

Ride both is still the best piece of advice on here!
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'