Rocko Roller Sportive 31/8/08

GFowler22
GFowler22 Posts: 78
I am fairly new to road riding, but I really fancy getting my teeth into a sportive, this one seems really good, particularly as it is very local to me. I was just wondering if I could cope with distance and gradients? I've done a 35 mile ride some of the roads featured in about 1hr 30 mins and I found it ok, I'm just worried that the distance is too much of a step up!

http://www.rockinghamforest.org.uk/rocko_roller.html

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The link doesn't work (site under construction??). How far / hilly is it? From what I remember of this part of the world, it can be pretty "lumpy".
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Found the details on Cyclosport.org
    A new Sportive around Rutland and Northants, the Rose of the Shires from Rockingham Forest Wheelers Cycling Club. Don’t be fooled by our central location and lack of mountains, these are tough routes that will test most. We have put together all the best parts of our club rides to form what we think is a superb roller coaster of a route. The full Big Dipper at 160km and 2320m climbing, and the shorter Mousetrap at 78km and 1220m climbing. Short sharp climbs, several touching 20% flow with some superb descents on quiet lanes, we think you’ll enjoy the testing descents as much as the climbs. Major climbs; The Holt (5km), Stoke Dry (22km), the Roller (30km onwards), Foxton (80km) , Laughton legbreaker (90km), Never ending Farndon hill (100km), and heart attack hill (125km) (yes one of our club mates ticker failed here, he’s ok now though) await you before one final lungburster at 157Km which is shared by both routes. You’ll pass through quiet country estates, past four of our local reservoirs on some scenic routes. Easy access from the A14/M1/A1 to the Start location of our very own country clubhouse, with canteen, showers and changing facilities. How about a tea around a roaring log fire if the weather requires, we like to promote a good after-ride social scene to complete your day. RFW have run national standard road races for years so you can be sure of a warm welcome and great organisation. Come help us set some good standards for the future of this event.

The 78km (48 mile) route should probably be ok for you - the full 160km route sounds like a leg-bender though :x