New York Cop Attacks Cyclist.

manick0de
manick0de Posts: 202
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
http://gothamist.com/2008/07/28/cop_caught_on_video_assaulting_cycl.php

I'm not a fan of critical mass but still, what a wanker that cop, Patrick Pogan is. Especially when you here is side of the story.http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&q=patrick%20pogan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

Very good article on it. http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/07/surly-cross-check-cranky-cop-coldcocks.html

Comments

• cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Obviously the cyclist was riding dangerously fast directly at the poor officer who slipped and put his arms out to steady himself.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    If you run the film backwards you can clearly see the officer in question is stepping away from the cyclist in order to avoid any collision.

Quite a shocking piece of footage really. :shock:
  • beatsystem
    beatsystem Posts: 118
    Thats what they should do to people who ride on the pavement NOT the road!!
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    And how strange the person shooting the footage decided to pan in that direction just as the 'accident' happened :roll:
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    FCE2007 wrote:
    And how strange the person shooting the footage decided to pan in that direction just as the 'accident' happened :roll:

What are you suggesting? The cop clearly deliberately knocks the guy off his bike. If the tourist and the cyclist were attempting to show the cop in a bad light, then how on earth did they know that he'd suddenly knock that particular cyclist off his bike?

Or maybe you think the cop's in on it too, even though it's likely to mean the end of his career? :roll:
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Hey I am not sticking up for the cop!
    It was clearly a shove rather than avoidance.

My original post still stands - it was strange, that's all. No drama.
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    No judgements, but the video does not show what the cyclist was doing before moving into the camera shot...... He may very well have been an a*se.... It happens you know..

The copper did look like he made a beeline directly for him though....he was definitely selected for thumping WAY before the incident.

Still wouldn't excuse the way he stopped him.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • graeme_s-2
    FCE2007 wrote:
    Hey I am not sticking up for the cop!
    It was clearly a shove rather than avoidance.

My original post still stands - it was strange, that's all. No drama.

Sorry for coming across a bit confrontational, I just thought it was a strange comment to make given the content! :)
  • graeme_s-2
    cee wrote:
    No judgements, but the video does not show what the cyclist was doing before moving into the camera shot...... He may very well have been an a*se.... It happens you know..

The copper did look like he made a beeline directly for him though....he was definitely selected for thumping WAY before the incident.

If the cyclist had just keyed a car or hit a pedestrian than the cop apprehending him in that manner might make some sense (although it's still heavy handed). The cop hasn't said that in his defence though, instead he's said that the cyclist had held up traffic (which seems unlikely from the video) and then assaulted him (which is a blatant lie).
  • cee
    Graeme_S wrote:

If the cyclist had just keyed a car or hit a pedestrian than the cop apprehending him in that manner might make some sense (although it's still heavy handed). The cop hasn't said that in his defence though, instead he's said that the cyclist had held up traffic (which seems unlikely from the video) and then assaulted him (which is a blatant lie).

I know.....

I was really just saying that we do not know why the cop chose him for the thumping.....maybe he did clip a pedestrian or something...can't say by looking at the video. Of course the lies told by the copper definitely do not help him out...particularly when the video tells a different story. The cyclist definitely did not assault the police officer with his bike, OR aim for him...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Bear in mind this is from a country where a car chase is stopped by ramming the chased vehicle.

Your trying to put too much intelligence into US policing.

Apparently Pensylvania police is the only force over the pond to be any where near as up to date in policing methods as even the worst of the UK forces.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    cee wrote:

+1 The copper wouldnt have done it without good reason.
    [Soapbox rant]
    Critical mass are a bunch of cu*ts - they deliberatley set out to cause disruption and provoke other road users. They give cyclists a terrible name. I would happily see more violent "riot" style policing used to deal with them - what they do is probably technically legal, still makes it wrong. Its like the scum who invaded Scotland for G8 - fu*k off and carry out your protest elsewhere where it wont affect honest, innocent individuals who really didnt care one way or the other, until you convinced them to opppose you for the disruption you caused.

What do CM hope to acchieve with their activities???? At best its going to lead to worse treatment for cyclists by drivers, at worst, more cyclist deaths.

Dirty unwashed scumbags that they are.
    [/Soapbox rant]
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    nwallace wrote:
    Bear in mind this is from a country where a car chase is stopped by ramming the chased vehicle.

Apparently Pensylvania police is the only force over the pond to be any where near as up to date in policing methods as even the worst of the UK forces.

Crumbs, maybe we should get some tips from the US police, might help drag our sorry country out of the sh*t we're in!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • graeme_s-2
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Crumbs, maybe we should get some tips from the US police, might help drag our sorry country out of the sh*t we're in!

With bright ideas like that I nominate you for first UK poleaxing by a copper while you're out for a ride.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

With bright ideas like that I nominate you for first UK poleaxing by a copper while you're out for a ride.

Perhaps I should have been clearer for the hard-of-thinking, I wasn't condoning the copper which is why I used the quote, do you honestly think I'd be on a cycling forum if I thought cyclist getting knocked off their bikes was a good thing? I was merely suggesting that the no-nonsense approach quoted as being adopted by the US police would go some way to ridding our streets of some of the miscreants currently invading our space.
    Funy that, first time I've ever been angry on this forum! feel better now though.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • nwallace
    Shoot First, Ask Questions later doesn't go down too well with the public.
    Just as Jean Charles De Medez
    Do Nellyphants count?

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    To be fair, the US seems to have a far worse crime problem than England, despite it's robust policing.

Now onto the video...

Well quite frankly at first glance, it's pretty shocking, when played in slow motion, we can clearly see the copper take a large step towards the cyclist and then take him out. However, compared to other acts of police violence which i have heard about in NY.

A few things I would say, watch the NY messenger videos on YouTube, the messengers seem pretty....militant. Combine militant coppers and militant cyclists and it's not surprising that these things happen.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    nwallace wrote:

they do that here too you know... if they can't box them in that is
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • nwallace
    Warning: OVer generalisation provided below.

Tactics seen in Car chase programmes involving uk police.

Follow with helicopter, try a stinger, try a box in, try a road block, never actually seen a video with a uk traffic police car (Which aren't built with ramming in mind) being used to cause a deliberate crash.

Videos for US police:
    Chase,
    1) Shoot tyres out
    2) Ram
    3) Shoot driver

Seems to be the general tactic, if there is a helicopter its the local tv stations one.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• cee
    thats because the UK police cannot afford to buy new Volvo T5R's all the time....the US police can buy as many of those yankmobiles as they like.

H.G. Wells.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    +1 The copper wouldnt have done it without good reason.
    [Soapbox rant]
    Critical mass are a bunch of cu*ts - they deliberatley set out to cause disruption and provoke other road users. They give cyclists a terrible name. I would happily see more violent "riot" style policing used to deal with them - what they do is probably technically legal, still makes it wrong. Its like the scum who invaded Scotland for G8 - fu*k off and carry out your protest elsewhere where it wont affect honest, innocent individuals who really didnt care one way or the other, until you convinced them to opppose you for the disruption you caused.

What do CM hope to acchieve with their activities???? At best its going to lead to worse treatment for cyclists by drivers, at worst, more cyclist deaths.

Dirty unwashed scumbags that they are.
    [/Soapbox rant][/quote]

BRAVO!!!

10/10 for the rant
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Meh.

Thats all I have to say.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    nwallace wrote:

What an excellent idea. Especially as the 2007 figures show that the US has a murder rate of 0.043 per 1000 population and the UK has one of 0.0141/1000, i.e. about a third.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My first thought on watching that was that the tackle looked like a US footy one. And sure enough - the press reports say the cop was a former football offensive lineman. He hasnt lost his touch.

I dont believe that the cyclist had done anything to warrant the 'tackle'. Neither did the cop - or else why would he make up other stuff ? He's lying to protect himself.

I'm not a big fan of CM - but this seems a completely unprovoked attack. Maybe he just doesnt like cyclists, or his ex went off with one ?

As to the strangeness of the video camera being pointed the right way - whats strange about that ? If it hadnt captured the incident - we would never have heard of it. There were probably a dozen other cam corders that were pointed at other bikes that night that didnt capture the crash. Is that a cover up ? Actually some of the 9/11 conspiracists probably would believe that.....
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I found the statement by the father of the cop involved interesting:

"These people are taking over the streets and impeding the flow of traffic. Then you gotta do what you gotta do"

Applied literally, I take it from that, if a bunch of pedestrians are blocking the road, say a bunch of schoolkids walking on the road because the narrow footpaths are full and the street width is mostly dedicated to traffic snarls (think Richmond upon Thames on a Saturday), and the only room left is the road, the only sane thing to do if your a cop is to run them over then beat them up and file charges?

Totally bizarre attitude. No. Diseased mentally.

BTW had my first CM ride, on my road bike and wearing road gear (I had a 14 mile ride home to do, its more comfy wearing proper gear), just about fell off the bike going that slow, and felt like the fish (on a bicycle).

Bizarre experience I think I'll give a miss next time around.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    C.M are a pointless bunch of cunts, buy their own admission they have no purpose other than to provoke a reaction so the fact that some people react violently is hardly surprising.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    chuckcork wrote:

Applied literally, I take it from that, if a bunch of pedestrians are blocking the road, say a bunch of schoolkids walking on the road because the narrow footpaths are full and the street width is mostly dedicated to traffic snarls (think Richmond upon Thames on a Saturday), and the only room left is the road, the only sane thing to do if your a cop is to run them over then beat them up and file charges?

Totally bizarre attitude. No. Diseased mentally.

No, thats a completely different scenario. Critical mass is an organized activity designed to cause disruption - if critical mass rides werent organized there would be no issue - dont even try to pretend that pedestrians having to walk on the road because the pavements are full is in anyway similar.

If a lot of pedestrians arranged to meet up and walk slowly in the road, impeding the flow of traffic then it would similar to what critical mass does.

It actually makes my blood boil to think these people think they are cyclists, they are more like the orange order - purposely setting out to antagonize and cause disruption, the sooner the tear gas and the watercannons are used the better - im all for peaceful protest, but CM is a joke - its an antagoinistinc and confrontational protest with no benefit. Ask any cyclist - any real cyclist and they will tell you CM are brainless cu*ts - prove me otherwise, what good has come of the CM movement?

What about this case? Midless vandalism, way to go CM!
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ss26m.html
    http://www.komonews.com/news/25962894.html

I am disgusted that these people think they are cyclists - as if i dont get enough abuse on the roads, i have got these braindead retard fu*kwit arseholes protesting for my rights... thanks guys... but you know what, i wont ever be in a CM ride, ill be hurling abuse at you with the rest of the cagers.
  • Interesting thread . . . .

It was unprovoked attack, that is wrong.

CM days cause traffic congestion problems and give cyclists a bad name because some people behave like t1ts, that's not good either.

I think you can deal with either issue in isolation without generalising one way or the other. Two wrongs and all that . . .
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    What about this case? Midless vandalism, way to go CM!
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ss26m.html
    http://www.komonews.com/news/25962894.html

I am disgusted that these people think they are cyclists - as if i dont get enough abuse on the roads, i have got these braindead retard fu*kwit arseholes protesting for my rights... thanks guys... but you know what, i wont ever be in a CM ride, ill be hurling abuse at you with the rest of the cagers.
    I can't believe someone on a cycling forum has written this ill-informed, ill-judged and one eyed rant. You seem prepared to take the evidence as presented in a newspaper as fact when cycling and cyclists consistently gets attacked by the media as we are all aware.

The case you cite involved a driver deliberately ramming his vehicle into a group of cyclists. That the cyclists responded in the heat of the moment with violence may be, in the cold light of day, regrettable it is also very understandable.

If there is any 'braindead retard' or 'fuckwit arsehole' around here it is you.