My Langster is nearly finished...but a few more questions...

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited August 2008 in Road general
I ordered a halo wheel with a fixed/free hub - but neither side of the hub is what I'd consider a freewheel - but the threads are slightly differently on each side.

One side

2706699268_bfa15f55b5.jpg

The other side with a slightly different thread
2705879199_7ca7f96056.jpg

It's nearly finished...
2706693804_526a0d537d.jpg

Before anyone jumps on the saddle position/height - I ain't finished yet. I've got a crankset to put on, but I just need to get a BB tool to fit the BB. I've got a gold KMC chain to put on aswell - I just need a couple of sprockets/BMX freewheel and then I can finish it.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• redddraggon
    Oh the bit missed out.

Why are the threads on each side of the hub different? Is one side for a screw on freewheel of some sorts?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The side of the hub with 2 threads is for a fixed sprocket and lockring. Are both the larger threads the same size on either side of the hub?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Yup, that IS a fixed/free for sure!

Not sure what you DID expect!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • 3leggeddog
    3leggeddog Posts: 150
    The side with the double thread is for your fixed sprocket and lockring, remember lockring LH thread.

The single thread is for a single freewheel.

I bought an sh langster a few weeks ago and I love it, very versatile, I've climbed lake district passes on it, used it as a pub bike and done the odd 60 miler on it.

There are some draw backs tho:

When climbing big hills it is difficult to keep pedalling and vomit at the same time
    Some wag in the pub always wants a go, then hurts themselves
    Long rides give you a really sore arse as it it difficult to get out of the saddle at 150rpm

Have fun on it

BTW, was it any cheaper buying the bargain frame and building it up?
  • redddraggon
    meagain wrote:
    Yup, that IS a fixed/free for sure!

Not sure what you DID expect!

I was expecting something free, if you know what I mean - like shimano/campag hubs - this is my first foray into singlespeed/fixed since I had a singlespeed MTB when I was 10.
    3leggeddog wrote:
    The single thread is for a single freewheel.

So is it a BMX freewheel I need to buy?
    3leggeddog wrote:
    BTW, was it any cheaper buying the bargain frame and building it up?

It depends whether you count in the cost of the bits I already had (as some those bits definitely weren't cheap). Bits for just the Langster (inc frame) have cost ~£270 and it's better specced than the factory Langsters, so I don't think I've done too badly.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • meagain
    "BTW, was it any cheaper buying the bargain frame and building it up?"

Mine was but only because I had most of the parts and those were already not-new and so even the notional cost (I try not to think of parts-on-the-shelf as free bcause they did have an original cost) was quite low. Even so, no cheaper than buying a complete bike 2nd hand. Just that more to my liking!
    d.j.
  • redddraggon
    So I need a BMX freewheel/sprocket like this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 300005982/
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • 3leggeddog
    3leggeddog Posts: 150
    Yup thats the badger, remember you'll need 1"/8th chain
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Looks nice - I like the rust brown ones. If you're intent on a specific track crankset (looks a bit nicer than single ring on a double - that's abot the only advantage), then speak to Pearson's cycles who have an FSA crankset and BB offer at £40. Comes in the popular 165mm crank length preferred by many fixed riders (especially the likes of me with a lower bottom bracket than a proper track frame!)
  • meagain
    "...Pearson's cycles who have an FSA crankset and BB offer at £40. Comes in the popular 165mm crank length preferred by many fixed riders (especially the likes of me with a lower bottom bracket than a proper track frame!).

What I got for my terracotta (oh, alright, rust-coloured!) Langster. Had to mount the ring on the inside though to get a reasonable chain line. Apart from that, good value.
    d.j.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
  • meagain
    Well, yes, but a bit extravagant for a 99 quid frameset!
    d.j.
  • redddraggon
    I got one of those FSA chainsets when I bought the frame - it's fitted now, just need a sprocket and it'll be finished.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • graham_g
    meagain wrote:
    "...Pearson's cycles who have an FSA crankset and BB offer at £40. Comes in the popular 165mm crank length preferred by many fixed riders (especially the likes of me with a lower bottom bracket than a proper track frame!).

What I got for my terracotta (oh, alright, rust-coloured!) Langster. Had to mount the ring on the inside though to get a reasonable chain line. Apart from that, good value.

Are you 120mm spacing/ 422mm chainline at the rear?

The only reason I ordered it was so aesthetic as I currently have the CR mounted on the inside of a double chainset with 110mm BB for a decent chainline. No big deal as it's on back order at the minute so I can easily cancel it.
  • meagain
    I tend to work by eye and the rear hub is an old one that I "cut and shut" specifically for the Langster! And of course the rear varies according to precise sprocket shaping and which way round the elbow (if any).

However, I've just been and measured as best I can. I make the FRONT c.41 with the ring on the inner face and the dishing on the ring MINIMISING the chainline measurement. As far as I can recall, with the ring on the outer (and dishing as it came) the chainline was at least 45 - which makes sense relative to how it measures now. My rear is near enough 40 - and +/- 1 is more than good enough for me!

I cannot I fear guarantee these numbers!
    d.j.
  • graham_g
    Cheers for that Dave, I'll give Pearson a call to query it as I'll be pi$$ed off if they aren't supplying it with a BB of suitable length to get a 42mm chainline!
  • I'm running this one http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php ... gory_id=16. As its a trials designed part, its built to take a lot of abuse (so far about 2000miles and ready for the same again). And its cheap too.
    If you want somethng to really impress people: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php ... gory_id=16. This sounds like a Chris King (I have a friend who has both!) How much better can you get?

p.s. I'm respraying my bike red soonish....the brown is um,...yeah. :roll:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    pbpic2260625.jpg

Now that is COOL!
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Looks lovely. Glad you got the damaged bottom bracket thing sorted out :D
  • robbarker: Thank you. It rides as nice as it looks too. Cleared some north shore stuff on my old XC loop, that I couldn't do on a 26er! 29ers for ever!
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.