Cycle Insurance

Sikora
Sikora Posts: 519
edited July 2008 in MTB general
Looking at getting my bike insured, and i've noticed Evans Insurance offers cover while the bike is on the back of the car.

I'm probably best contacting them directly, but i thought i'd ask some questions on here first in case anyone has had a similar query.

1 - Evans website asks that "The bicycle is stored out of sight, or is secured through the frame using an approved lock, to the roof or bike rack".
I have a Thule Clip On High rear cycle carrier, which allows me to lock the clamp onto the frame with a key, but i would get an approved U lock to lock the bike to the carrier as well.
But is this enough? Whats stopping a potential thief from stealing the whole bike/cycle carrier? On my old car, i used to use Kryptonite cables and a small U lock to tie the bike/carrier to the car via the fixed towing eye, but my current car doesn't have a fixed towing eye, plus i'm not aware of any Sold Secure Silver/Gold cable locks.

2- How long am i likely to be covered for when leaving the bike on the car? Overnight? Throughout the day while at a campsite? Or just while i pop into the shop for a loaf of bread?

3- Would i be covered if the bike is damaged in a road traffic accident? I asked a friend who works for a car insurance firm, and he's 99% sure it wouldn't be covered by the car insurance.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1: ask the Insurer
    2: ask the Insurer
    3: Oh you have asked someone but again ask the Insurer.

then read the small print to see why they will not cover you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    I've said i understand i'm best contacting them. I'm just putting a feeler out to see if anyone else has had experiances with what i've queried.

Nothing in the t&c mentions what i need to know
  • defiantly a contact them type question there!
    i have endsleigh insurance on the bike (£111 a year) and then its backed up with contents insurance at home and away with the AA (bout £80 for all items in my house + my bike) so hey if it gets nicked i know at least one of the companies will play ball!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sikora wrote:
    Looking at getting my bike insured, and i've noticed Evans Insurance offers cover while the bike is on the back of the car.

I'm probably best contacting them directly, but i thought i'd ask some questions on here first in case anyone has had a similar query.

1 - Evans website asks that "The bicycle is stored out of sight, or is secured through the frame using an approved lock, to the roof or bike rack".
    I have a Thule Clip On High rear cycle carrier, which allows me to lock the clamp onto the frame with a key, but i would get an approved U lock to lock the bike to the carrier as well.
    But is this enough? Whats stopping a potential thief from stealing the whole bike/cycle carrier? On my old car, i used to use Kryptonite cables and a small U lock to tie the bike/carrier to the car via the fixed towing eye, but my current car doesn't have a fixed towing eye, plus i'm not aware of any Sold Secure Silver/Gold cable locks.

2- How long am i likely to be covered for when leaving the bike on the car? Overnight? Throughout the day while at a campsite? Or just while i pop into the shop for a loaf of bread?

3- Would i be covered if the bike is damaged in a road traffic accident? I asked a friend who works for a car insurance firm, and he's 99% sure it wouldn't be covered by the car insurance.

Thanks in advance

Hey there, i've just added mine to the home insurance.. for an extra £4 a month,, it covers me for any kind of damage in the UK. Old for new so even if I break a fork I get a new bike.

Direct line
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    Whats value does the Direct Line insurance cover up to for four quid a month?
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeti575 wrote:
    Whats value does the Direct Line insurance cover up to for four quid a month?

I covers for the value of the bike, It may go up the higher the price of the bike though but I do not know that for sure.

My bike is a Boardman Comp is insured for 700 of the queen's pounds.

hope this helps..
    Give them a ring

Cheers
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    They wouldn't touch me when quoted my bike being over the £1000 mark. To add insult to injury, they already have my car and contents insurance on their books :evil:
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    I pay an extraordinary amount of money to insure my two bikes (£4.5k combined value), almost to the point that it feels like they are taking the Mick...no doubt they are. It irks me that I pay so very much for a service that when I do need it (I live in London) then no matter what I have been told, queried, had spelt out and promised to me they will do their level best to weasel their way out of it.

Sorry rant over.

Try E&I insurance...they seem very reasonable.

1. I have specifically asked that question of E and I about my roof rails and as long as it was locked on I am covered as it is a 'reasonable precaution'.
    2. I have also asked this, basically as long as you are not 'storing' (as you would store the bike at home) the bike there you are covered. Your car is considered to be a secured fixing point (this is for my roof rails).
    3. Yes...but check and check again

This is my experience but you absolutley must ask question after question of the company you choose to go through. Their business is keeping as much money as they can and this IS their business plan so even if it seems the most trivial of questions ask them, heck get it all in writing if you can.

If you do the above then you will be a happy man should you ever require their services as you will then get what you expect.

(Sorry to be so cynical over insurance companies but I have heard many horror stories)
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'