A thread to celebrate personal bests.

samoff
samoff Posts: 128
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
For those need-to-tell-someone moments.
Not for showing off, just to share those little victories.
"Check your sheds! Check your sheds! I think I've lost my mind" Half Man Half Biscuit

Comments

• samoff
    Smashed my commute record this morning by over 0.5 mph. Without even the aid of a following wind.
    Now I feel like superman, I'm really going to kick some arse at our digital library architecture monthly meeting. Watch out world!
    "Check your sheds! Check your sheds! I think I've lost my mind" Half Man Half Biscuit
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Me too!!! Did the same time yesterday then on the way home realised I'd had a very helpful tailwind all the way in. So this morning no wind in either direction but wanted to prove it hadn't all been down to the wind. And did it. :D

Am half dead though.
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Ok, here goes! Set myself a pre-season target of 1 hr 5 mins for a 25TT. After a first effort of 1 hr 13 :roll: i've been chipping away at it. Then on Saturday - 1:04:26! Wahey! Only trouble is nobody i know understands how chuffed i was with this - so i might as well get it off my chest on here! Just need to find 30 secs off my 10 time (i've now got the bizarre situation of having a faster 25TT average speed than my best 10 time - i'm just crap at 10's! :roll: ). Of course this means the TT bug has bitten me even harder - Mrs G caught me looking at pointy hats last night!

Rich
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    25.58 for 10 miles on my fixed last week is a fixed wheel pb for me :) .... my best 10 ever was 25.10 [geared] about 20 years ago so a little way to go yet, maybe next year..
    PB on our hilly tt the other week on fixed, I think my knees may be knackered now.

Pointy hats, worth a go Richie G , get one that covers the ears to cut out wind noise which is disheartening.
    Club rides are for sheep
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    Has to be my 151 mile ride all done with the help of some good cycling buddys. What started off as a casual ride from south London to Rye on the south coast ended with a hilly ride of epic proportions. My longest ride prior to this was 101 miles.

Also finally getting into the fastest training group in my cycling club for the 1st time last saturday

Not bad for a 41 year old bloke who only gave up smoking and started cycling last november. :D
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    My best ten time is 27'27 which isn't too bad-ish kind of.
    Ive got a pointy hat on order which I am looking forward to, I really need one which cuts out the sight of people I am chasing down suddenly stepping up a gear and disappearing over the horizon :cry:
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    A nice couple of milestones this week - 3000th mile for 2008 (target is 5k) and the 4000th mile on the Somec Titano since last June.
  • samoff
    Those sort of milestones are great aren't they? have you worked out how far away you could be by now?
    I need to add up how far I've climbed since I got my altimeter. It'd be nice to know what stratospheric layer I'm in.
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    See my post on 'TRAINING' section. It's sad but it's true :roll:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • leadsocks
    leadsocks Posts: 827
    PB on 22 mile commute of 01:03:12 complete with bag of clothes on back, traffic, traffic lights and a cinder track with two gates either end that have to be opened.

Felt like cycling god all day. Severe head wind on the way home quickly made me mortal again.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Just been in Austria for 2 weeks. 2nd week stayed with my cousin.During a party last Sunday following a few beers ,had a short sprint race against a 23 year old who reckons he is pretty fit.Both riding town bikes i managed to cane him {just}.......I dont think he was trying that hard :oops: I think my belly gave me the photo finish. :roll:
    bagpuss
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Averaging 20mph exactly in my first ever TT, 10.5 miles and very hilly!
    Also managed to beat all of my Uni mates :) (wheres the "smug" emoticon?)

Being in the front 20% of every race this year isn't too bad, although still need a top10 finish!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    finally did a 21 mph ride on one of my local 10 mile loops after 2 years of trying, then the next 4 days on different loops averaged 21mph on each one within plus or minus a second, I dunno waited ages to break 21mph then go and do 5 in a row well chuffed
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Managed a best for my regular training loop around Stockbridge last night - a few secs over 1h2m for a 20.2 mile circuit on lumpy terrain. On the run-in back from King's Somborne, had both stitch and very slight cramp but still managed to press on at 20+ mph, almost as though the bike was willing me to!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • samoff wrote:
    Those sort of milestones are great aren't they? have you worked out how far away you could be by now?
    I need to add up how far I've climbed since I got my altimeter. It'd be nice to know what stratospheric layer I'm in.

They do keep you going - 'if I do an extra 5 miles that'll be 450 for the month which looks better' lol! As for altitude climbed - 195k ft since I got the Garmin edge in January which is an astonishing 36.93 miles!!!!
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    samoff wrote:

They do keep you going - 'if I do an extra 5 miles that'll be 450 for the month which looks better' lol! As for altitude climbed - 195k ft since I got the Garmin edge in January which is an astonishing 36.93 miles!!!!

The vertical miles thing is great. In these terms the Ventoux is a one mile ride. :)
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    samoff wrote:
    ive just had a look at that on my garmin TC and ive done 322402 ft of ascent but 330223 ft of descent yet i always usually try start and finish a ride at the same elevation, i assume i would have reached outer space then at this total altitude
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    I like this thread, people look at me odd when I get excited about htings like this.

I did my first 10TT this year, first time I did 28:27 second time I got a new PB with 27:55.

Did my first imperial century this year on the road as well.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Broke 20 minutes for a lap of Richmond Park. Sadly the 2nd and 3rd laps weren't even close (see the Richmond Park 3-lap thread) but after that first one I felt like Superman.

Oh, and 45.23mph on my knackered old Trek on Dartmoor, on bad roads, in the rain, with a coach heading towards me. First time (since I've had a bike computer anyway) I've broken 40mph.
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    Did 100 hilly miles in 8 hours, one of my aims has been to ride 100miles in 8 hours.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Broke 1hour 45 for 40 miles for the first time ever solo - on the Zurich ironman bike course.

Ran a sub 42 minute 10k - want to have broke 40mins before the edinburgh marathon next year.
  • Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    Took 2 minutes off my PB for 'Long Hill' between Whaley Bridge and Buxton, which I do on the way home from work.
    Don't know what constitutes a good time on it, but I did the 8+Km in 22.09 today, so by my reckoning I averaged about 22KmH over the whole climb. :D

I ran a 10K in 45.08 earlier this year, and did my first (Sprint) triathlon a few weeks later too! :D
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I clocked up my fastest ever speed during Sunday's Chiltern Hilly 100 audax

86.1 kph down the Risborough side of Whiteleaf hill

My previous fastest was 81.1 kph
  • samoff
    Got a power score of 234 on the gym bike machine last night. It's meaningless in the real world, but crucially it 6 better than my pervious record and now allows me (by my own rules) to progress to Level 12. Which is a bit scary.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    ju5t1n wrote:
    I clocked up my fastest ever speed during Sunday's Chiltern Hilly 100 audax

86.1 kph down the Risborough side of Whiteleaf hill

My previous fastest was 81.1 kph

Just clicked on the link in your sig - I see I'm not the only Belcher on here, even though it's not a hugely common surname. "What are the chances of that happening?", as Harry Hill would put it!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I spent £94 on bike bits on Saturday without Mrs J complaining.

That's a new PB.

I'll be going for the 100 soon. Wish me luck...
  • made the sub 25 club for a 10TT
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    Great, I got a pb on our 15 mile tt tonight despite the wet roads. 41.23 really happy with that one, beat the previous by about a minute!!!! and faster than I had gone on gears on that course, which is quite hilly.

I have nearly bagged the Fixed Championship again, one more 10 and thats it, I don't think I can be caught on points now as long as I finish the last race :D

My handicap next year will be a bit of a killer though :( but my nearest fixed rival has gone a bit faster this season so maybe it will even out..
    Club rides are for sheep
  • shoei
    shoei Posts: 14
    Did my first 10 mile TT last night.
    Only been riding again since late april after 10-11 years away from a bike due to knee problems.
    Managed a nice 29m 29sec, so well chuffed to break the 30 min barrier on first attempt.