Worst day of my life!

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
edited August 2008 in MTB general
My bikes have been stolen.................
I am so upset, I could easily just cry. Someone got into my garage and stole my bikes.

Just needed to vent, can't believe it!

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Before I opened this thread I knew..

Sorry to hear that some scumbag can't keep their hands off someone else property.

Were they insured?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Noel PT
    No insurance on the bikes, I thought locking them in a garage and bolting them to the floor would be enough, but they just use bolt cutters and cut my locks off.

Looking back now, I should have had it, but I honeslty didn't think anyone would go to the amount of trouble they must have gone to, to get to my bikes.

The worst thing is they gonna sell them for a couple of hundred pounds!
  • Andy B
    When/if you do get replacements add more security & insurance, they may be expecting some more bikes to turn up @ your garage soon.

Thieving fckers :evil:
  • Andy B
    Also put up a thread in the stolen section of the forums, you never know!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10040
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    :( Bad luck mate. Try not to get too down about it. It's difficult getting things stolen, especially things that you're enthusiastic enough about to frequent a forum devoted to it. :? Hope you get something sorted out.
  • Noel PT
    they may be expecting some more bikes to turn up @ your garage soon.

That did cross my mind, never gonna be comfortable again.

Honestly I hope they come back and I catch them.....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i kinda had a similar day

img2603nj1.jpg

they really wanted to get in but scarpered when the window popped.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Noel PT
    I feel your pain.... people have no respect.

My girlfriend keeps telling me the wheel turns, and they will get there's, but to be honest it would make me feel a whole lot better if I could just get my hand around their neck and.....well....
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Noel,

If you have house insurance they may well be covered on that.

Stu
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Your girlfriend's right but it would be better if you were there to see it, eh?

Check ebay for a few weeks - it's quite amazing how thick some of these scumbags are.
  • cool.hwhip
    cool.hwhip Posts: 24
    Stu 74 wrote:
    Noel,

If you have house insurance they may well be covered on that.

Stu

True, i still live at home and with the insurance my parents have, my bike is covered anywhere in the world for accidental loss, damage or theft. Check through your policy.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Just a thought - it might be worth putting an ad in the local free ads / paper saying that you're looking to buy the same make and model as one of the bikes. Although many stolen bikes end up in a different town, quite a few are sold through classifieds. It's a long shot, but you never know, they might try to sell it back to you.
  • sorry it sucks big time .. but you really needed insurance...a lesson learnt perhaps
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Sorry to hear about this. I had this happen when I was about 15yrs old, they broke into our garage (not hard tbh) and took our 2 Rockhoppers. Never saw them again. They were definately dumb f**kers as they left the far more expensive kayaks and equipment alone! Lessons learnt -

1) Check house insurance. I dont have seperate bike insurance as our house politcy covers the bikes home or away, for near as damn it anything! Easier and cheaper than getting specific insurance. Check your policy, if they were locked away its likely you are covered to some extent, so at least goes some ways to getting new bike(s)

2) Be prepared for them to come back. We put some mother f**ker bolts on our garage and almost caught the scumbags trying it again after a month as we'd had our bikes replaced. They did a runner though and the Police didnt care. Locks 1 Mofo's nil!

3) Make sure you not only chain the bikes up but have insurance to cover the loss in future. They can and will find a way through locks and chains if they want. If you can get the lock anchored to the floor or wall in the corner of the garage so its hard to get at. I have my bikes about 4ft off the floor on a wall mount, with an anchor in the corner and massive chain locking them together. I think they would find it very hard to beat that, but it could be done so insurance is the only fallback. Also have a bolt and lock on the garage door, extra to the normal door lock. Any extra locks that are visible before they try and get it will put them off more.

Hope you find a way to recoup your loss, its heart breaking when your pride and joy gets nicked and as you say they sell it for peanuts to some pikey :(
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Agree with what is being said.

If a tealeaf wants in badly enough, they will, no matter how much security you have on there. Make it hard enough so that it puts off the opportunists. I reckon thats about as much as you can do.

And insure the ass out of all your possessions.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    Sorry to hear your bad news. Hollow words perhaps, but you have my sympathy.
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    It is also worth remembering that most people keep the very tools in their garage that the thief needs. Bottle jacks, breaker bars etc. If you have a power supply in the garage, I would ensure that it is cut off at the fusebox until you need it. A battery powered hammer drill won't touch most locks but an SBS hammer drill will make mince meat of pretty much anything, and unfortunately they are very portable.

When you insure the bike, make sure you let the company know if it is left at the property for 5 hours or more unattended daily. Some policies don't pay out if this is the case.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Good point about the tools and power, I've hidden my bolt croppers but the drills are sat there ready to be used. Hadn't thought of isolatiing the power supply in the house, good idea.

Noel, you have my sympathies, I'd be gutted if mine got nicked regardless of the insurance.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Sorry to hear about your bikes - and your van Nick.

I've not insured my bikes because I perceive the risk to be very low - I live in the countryside, have dogs, almost always someone at home, big chain - but the premium is very very high.

Everywhere I've looked wants around 10% of the bike value as a premium. I don't pay 10% of my house value for home insurance or 10% of my car value for that insurance.

At the risk of hi-jacking thread does anyone know of an insurer that factors in things like leisure only, not left when out etc.
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    Noel PT wrote:
    No insurance on the bikes, I thought locking them in a garage and bolting them to the floor would be enough, but they just use bolt cutters and cut my locks off.

Hi sorry to hear about your bikes. What time did they break in and what locks were you using?
  • mellex
    forgotrafe wrote:
    At the risk of hi-jacking thread does anyone know of an insurer that factors in things like leisure only, not left when out etc.

I got my insurance with these people after several recommendations on this forum. They offer leisure, race and worldwide options.
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    mellex wrote:
    I got my insurance with these people after several recommendations on this forum. They offer leisure, race and worldwide options.

If there was a link in there I can't find it ;) Link would be appreciated though
  • Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    Noel PT wrote:
    What type of locks were you using?
  • Gutted for you mate :( Hope you get it sorted without losing out totally....little feckers :(
  • miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    What area are you in?
    The lads on the forum will keep their eyes open for them
    Maybe post some pictures of them up here
    I know the feeling, I had mine stolen Oct gone. Fortunatley mine were covered by the house contents, but I still look out for them.
    Sorry to hear about it bud!
  • duckers
    duckers Posts: 167
    Chris, they cant have been that dumb, they at least took bikes they knew could be rode away,, if it was the toe rags down my I would have easily caught them 'cos they'd still trying to paddle off down the street when I got home!!!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mine got a bit better.

img26081zc7.jpg
    Good luck.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bromski
    Bromski Posts: 239
    Look at it this way -

They steal to buy drugs

They take drugs which means they're going to die soon.
  • mellex
    forgotrafe wrote:
    mellex wrote:

If there was a link in there I can't find it ;) Link would be appreciated though

I'm dangerous me :wink:

http://www.bcbikeinsurance.co.uk/home.asp?product=BritCyc&promCode=
  • benjdr
    benjdr Posts: 58
    Bighead wrote:
    Noel PT wrote:

Hi sorry to hear about your bikes. What time did they break in and what locks were you using?

seconding this. What chains did that crop?