Front derailleur question

dodgyknees
dodgyknees Posts: 148
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Need to replace the Acera front derailleur on my bike as it's connected to the bottom bracket and therefore can't be raised in height to work with the new Chainset I'm fitting.

Looking at replacement front derailleurs but confused by the different styles mentioned.

What's the difference between top swing, conventional, dual pull?

Was planning to get the Shimano LX Conventional M581 (link below) as I figured I just need a 'conventional' derailleur but also not sure what the references to TP/BP mean.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6074

Any advice/recommendations gratefully accepted.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the bike?

as if it has an E type front mech it is unlikely that any other type will fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dodgyknees
    The bike is a GT Aggressor XC3 (essentially same as Avalanche 3)

Existing front mech has a fitting that is secured with the bottom bracket so height can't be adjusted.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what are you fitting? size?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dodgyknees
    I'm fitting a new chainset (Shimano M442 Mega9 tapered) which has a slightly larger big chainring than the one I'm replacing.

As such the front mech is too low down and needs to be raised. But as it's fixed to the bottom bracket I can't adjust the height hence the need to replace it with one that fits to the tube.