Cycling clubs in Cardiff area

BMCCbry
BMCCbry Posts: 153
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Which of the Cardiff cycling clubs does anyone recommend, in terms of being an all-round club with a range of club runs and activities?

Any suggestions appreciated, for a friend of mine.

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Racy - Cardiff Ajax

http://www.cardiffajaxcycling.co.uk

Lengthy / Sporty- Cardiff 100 Milers:

Cardiff 100 Miles Road Cycling Club
    c/o 14 Palalwyf Avenue
    Pontyclun
    CF72 9EG

Laney / Audaxey: Cardiff Byways:

David.Lewis4@jobcentreplus.gsi.gov.uk
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    Thanks. And what about Cardiff JIF? :)
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    on't know anything about them, although their website looks fun! The Ajax guys I've ment were boring prima-donna roadies whom i'd avoid like the plague in a bar, but I'm sure they weren't representative. The other two clubs I've encountered through riding with members on long Audax rides and they were very nice people.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Cardiff Ajax seems a bit quiet atm.

If you pop into Cyclopedia and chat to them they'll tell you when the big meets are.

But FYI, The Monday ride at 6:30 which leaves from Maindy is quite quiet atm as all the juniors are off racing and not many people turn up. Last week I went and it was only me and one other guy, enjoyable though.

Every Wednesday there seems to be TTing going on, am yet to find out where these are being held, apparently half an hours riding away.... Usually theres a club ride that does 40 miles ish: out on the coastal road towards Newport and back on the A48, a couple of laps of this circuit.

Thursday and Tuesday Chaingangs are hard, I've found them a big step up from the ones I did in York, 6:30 from Maindy i believe.

Saturday morning is great fun though, meeting at 9:30am outside cyclopedia, very friendly atmoshpere and not competitive at all, not too long, say a couple of hours.
    Sunday I think it's 9:30 again, longer ride and I think they include a cafe run.

If you want to PM me I'll probs be free for a ride, can show you some good local roads if you're new to the area?
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • when I was living in Cardiff, JIF seemed the best trade-off between race and CTC.
  • BMCCbry wrote:
    Which of the Cardiff cycling clubs does anyone recommend, in terms of being an all-round club with a range of club runs and activities?

Any suggestions appreciated, for a friend of mine.

Saturday ride doesn't follow a set course but is decided off the cuff by whoever takes the reigns that day.

Don't bother with Ajax's website it's hopeless.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • If you're a beginner, be warned i've found some of the guys in said group rides to be a little harsh, namely they'd rather shout at you than tell you what you're doing wrong. Ideal for nervous beginners.... :roll:
    tmacsigcopy.jpg
  • If you're a beginner, be warned i've found some of the guys in said group rides to be a little harsh, namely they'd rather shout at you than tell you what you're doing wrong. Ideal for nervous beginners.... :roll:

I had the same response in the beginning but hey, don't worry, the won't soften :lol:
    there are the arses but there are also some helpful, frendly nice guys too. The Sunday ride's the one to start with.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Apparently the Wednesday rides are restarting this week now that the TT series has finished.

Recommend coming out tomorrow, around 25 miles and pretty easy pace, should be pretty sociable, 6:30 from maindy.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

I had the same response in the beginning but hey, don't worry, the won't soften :lol:
    there are the arses but there are also some helpful, frendly nice guys too. The Sunday ride's the one to start with.

I though the opposite! Ian (from JIF and runs the shop) suggested way back when I started riding again that Sundays were a little hotter and longer than Saturdays, and I would agree with that. Only issue with Sundays are the non club riders who train to train, so it inevitably turns into a race: a LSD club run it is not!

Retruning to te OP, here is my take:

JIF / Ajax, and Milers (Cardiff 100 Miles RCC) are all good clubs for racing, as all three organise plenty of events (I did one today for example). Like anything, clubs wax and ane wrt membership etc, for a while Ajax was the biggest club, but a few ave left recently. The JIF are pretty stable, have some good riders, particularly if you are in RRing. Us and the Byways are slowly coming out of a "recession" in terms of membership, though we organise a lot more open TT's and and a 2 day RR during the season. None of the Cardiff clubs do their own club TT's as all participate in the Cardiff combine event on a Wednesday night on the A48, so from that point of view, which club you join is irrelevant. I know this is biased, but you won't find any Milers riders getting irate at newbies about not doing a turn or not riding through and off, though we take our racing seriously its all about enjoying it. Oh and we are the oldest club in Cardiff by some margin, if that means anything!

Take a look at the link to 2008 event on the WCA website to get a fel for "active" clubs:
    http://www.welshcycling.org/
  • kezar
    kezar Posts: 6
    I am returning to cycling after a break of around 30 years and went on the club run today from maindy stadium. There were two groups and I decided to go with the easy group (around twenty riders) down the vale to Ewenny.

I found the group helpful and talkative, and even though I sat on the back all the way into the wind there was no shouts of abuse etc. The only abuse was from a car driver coming in the opposite direction because we were riding two abreast. The ride stopped at Ewenny for coffee etc and certainly the pace was not 'racing'.

As I say I cannot comment on the faster group as I chose due to my current fitness level to give them a miss for at least of couple of months at least.

It is my experience that it is certainly much more enjoyable riding in a large group than grinding it out on your own with only your computer for company.

Speak as you find and the people I have met from within Cardiff Ajax have all been approachable and helpful.

Every club in any sport has problem awkward unpleasant members, its a sad fact of life
  • It was with concern and disappointment that I found such negative comments regarding Cardiff Ajax on the forum. I was relieved to find that many of the negative comments were written some years ago but mud does stick.

In the last year we have made many changes to the club trying to encourage new members to try a variety of rides. Although a family club we are also trying to re-establish a racing team for both male and female riders.

Since last year we have over 60 new members with an average of 5 new members a week since the start of the summer.

Our website is much improved over the version in 2005 - http://www.cardiffajaxcycling.co.uk/ - please have a look. our formum shows that we are striving to improve in everything the club does.

Why not give us a try?
  • Always loads of rides both on and off road - friendly bunch and good social side too. :lol: