XC bike????

Crankmeister
Crankmeister Posts: 274
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
Let me start by saying hello to all on this great site!!.

Well here goes the first post

Ive had XC bikes before of the hardtail variety.im only 5.7 and 11.5 stone(not fat lol) so finding a frame that makes me feel at home is quite a task.
I havent had a mountain bike in 10 years now and really miss the buzz.ive had a road bike but it hasnt captivated me as mountain biking did.
Ive had various XC frames from Merlin(leyland) through to the Sworks.
the merlin frame was 16" which was much better suited to my size and riding style.
I went for the Sworks in 17.5 which was a big mistake as it didnt suit me due to the length of the top tube.
Now after visiting merlin site ive found most frames come in either 15" or 17"
Which is leaving me opting for the smaller of the two.If i do choose a merlin frame again.
I,ve put a price cap on frame of £400 max and the bike in total of a £1000
Brake disks are not a necessity at this point.
I think that is enough money to ensure quality of build to get me started again.
I will be using the bike on smoothish tracks and plenty of climbing.
No jumps etc just fast trail riding.
So i would like to build a lightish hardtail bike with suspension up front.
So could any of you recommend a frame and forks or even a complete build?
Or post up some links to edjucate me in all things Hardtail XC.
Would i be wise to wait until the winter months saving more cash and reap the rewards of buying a last years model.
well i look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with.
kind regards

Comments

• mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    A friend has just finished building one of these:

http://www.covebike.com/bikes/handjob.html

The frame comes in 15.5' which is almost spot on and it can be had for around £350. Light, strong and I think it might just be the ticket for your riding style.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Cove is a good 1.5lbs heavier than the Sworks though! Depends what you want from the frame, but given the style of riding mentioned, I would be looking at another lightweight alloy XC frame.

The MALT4 spring to mind if you like Merlins. I always find them a touch short in the top tube, so compare to what you have. At 3lbs or so, this is a very light frame.