Urgent help for wife-to-be's new bike fork!

PapaSpenny
PapaSpenny Posts: 8
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
I need to make a decision for my lady on a new bike.

She's on the bike to work scheme which means we can't really sit on a bike.

In any event, I am likely to go for GTw Avalanche 1.0 Disc. Discounting Scott Contessa 20 as a close second.

My only concern is the fork as my lady is very light and I have read that the Suntour SR X-100 might not be suitable for lightweights, whereas the Scott sports a Dart 2 with 'softer spring setup'.

Any views?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Women's specific bikes sometimes come with a lighter weight spring in them, best thing to do is to test ride both bikes you are considering.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Can't do that on bike2work without taking liberties with stockist lbs, that's the only problem.

Might just plump for GT - amazing review on here somewhere, albeit for chaps bike.
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    I've just bought my girlfriend a bike, and the general consensus among people in the bike shop was that women specific bikes are crap, and we were mainly advised to buy a mens bike for her (which I have done so).

I also thought this myself. When looking at all the different options on the net, I found that the specifications of womens bikes was inferior to that of mens bikes at a similar price range (and this was backed up by the thoughts of one of the lbs blokes).

It might be just me being thick, but why does going through the bike2work thing mean you cant try the bikes? Can you not just go into any shop and browse??
  • I don't want to take the pss out of bike shops, testing their bikes with no intention of purchasing from them - you have to buy the bike direct from Halfords.

I am not sure I agree about women specifics and the GT I have been looking at seems ok spec wise. Lower backs can take some stick if the lady is reaching too far, particularly on longer, xc day rides.

GT is fairly light too, I understand, which helps.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Plus with a WSD bike you get a women's saddle & sometimes shorter crank arms.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    a WSD is more likely to fit a women's anatomy, but not always. As Andy says, the saddle is a big advantage and is a 20 quid saving straight away, and the frame geometry is better suited to longer legs, shorter torsos.
  • OwenCB
    OwenCB Posts: 125
    The avalanche is available in a WSD too isn't it??
  • MattRhino
    MattRhino Posts: 70
    As with all bikes, a WSD may not feel right for a particular individual. My other half felt far more comfortable on WSD bikes from Spesh and GT than male equivalents.
    Bought a Spesh, she joined me on the canal towpath this weekend (some climbs at either end) and by the time we were near home was looking for a longer route!!!! Fantastic!!!! A convert.
    Already did the easy stuff at Dalby with her, she's now talking about the blue, then the red!
  • GT does come in WSD, notice the cheeky w in my first post.

Thanks for last post, that's exactly where I am at too - buying a decent bike first up to maximise potential for enjoyment/uptake.

Baby on the way so not expecting too much allowance for day rides on my own!

Not much of a view on the forks above but going to go for GT, the £90 saving as against the Scott can get a fair chunk of the accessories.

Thanks for the views.