discs and levers

sapper1
sapper1 Posts: 7
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys I'm a new member and have a question.
20 years ago I was a raleigh trained cycle mechanic, having recently returned to cycling I have bought a full suspension bike with discs front and rear. I have in my shed my old carrera cyclocross bike which is fitted with shimano SLR brake levers .My question is ;can these levers be fitted to disc brakes as when I bought them there weren't many disc brakes about and as usual then the manufacturers said that you couldn't mix and match,eventhough Idid quite often sometimes successfuly and sometimes not.
Any help gratefully accepted .
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    unlikely. but what are the discs. and what type of brakes did the slr work with? (how much cable pull).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sapper1
    The slr worked with LX v brakes, the levers have adjustable pull and the discs are cheap generics as supplied with the bike (Apollo)And are due for replacement after I've had a look around.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    slr? are you 100% sure they are not STX?

but if they worked with V brakes then they will work with most mechanical disc brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sapper1
    Possibly STX I'll check in the morning Thanks for quick reply.
  • sapper1
    O.K. I swapped my plain tektro levers for STX servo adjust levers and what a difference !
    I can now stop from a good speed with just single finger pressure.
    thanks Nicklouse for the advice.