WHAT BIKE 2008

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well, it is not the best - especially as some 400 quid bikes now have damped forks that do perform better. But where do you stop with the extra budget ;-). Depends how much you have seen that trek for of course. At 300 and less many forks feel very similar, a bit bouncy, and not very adjustable.
  • The Trek is £350 at my nearest Evans where I'd spotted it. Cheers for the advice!
    Do it.
  • supersonic
    How about the Trek 4500? No discs (but disc ready), but scores a much better fork and full 9 dpeed gear set.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I have to say I'm a big fan of the Scott - lovely frame and a damped fork. Rest of the kit is average but it does look pretty sexy! Try to test, or at least sit on all those you are considering.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Trouncey
    Trouncey Posts: 21
    Hi everyone.
    Thought I'd begin with something I can help with.

I bought the Scott Aspect 55 as my first proper bike, and am really pleased with it. Excellent frame with good looks, forks alright (a bit springy, but probably the same with others at this price range) and its got some alright brakes and other components.
    I chose it over the 4300 and the Hardrock Comp.

A great introduction to mountain biking!
  • supersonic
    Good choice and happy riding!
  • pdrolo
    pdrolo Posts: 127
    Had my mongoose tyax elite nicked - and I ain't covered by insurance.

Thought about this as a comparable replacement

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s2p1326

wots everyone think ?
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • flash101
    flash101 Posts: 1
    i hav just started biking and hav been looking for a good bike that will hold together
    what do u think about this one?? http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86527
  • Trouncey
    Trouncey Posts: 21
    That's a decent first bike if you want to get into dirt jumping. The fork, which is the same as on my scott aspect, is pretty average. Frame should be good though.
  • BryanS
    BryanS Posts: 1
    OK, after reading all these posts I'm no wiser as to what to buy!

I'm a newbie, 49, 6 foot+, 13.5 stone, not exactly over fit or expecting to do bike gymnastics. I'm doing a route through woods for about 1.5 hours a week with some mates, a few inclines, tree roots, mud, etc. Two of my mates have got Rockhoppers with discs, but they are about £600+ a throw and I can't really justify that unless there is nothing cheaper that would do the job. Any ideas of cheaper alternatives, or is a Rockhopper probably the most suited?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    V brake Rockhopper!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Hi

Im new to MTB and havent had a bike for years, after looking round and reading reviews Im thinking of getting a GT Avalanche 2 disc, its for recreational use mainly but maybe some of road when I get into it, any thoughts? I read that the handle bars are low which makes it a uncomfortable ride, anyone got one and can share there views??

Ta!
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    You can change the bars for risers, which may should be more comfortable.
  • Mitchster
    Mitchster Posts: 2
    Hi. Does anyone know anything about BeOne hardtails? I'm looking at a new bike and have a budget of £300 and have seen an Aspire 3.0 for £250, reduced from £399, which sounds like a great bargain (rock shocks) but I can't find out much about them on the net.

At the moment it's either the BeOne or a Trek 4300, which I can get for £270 from my local dealer. Any advice would be much appreciated.
  • supersonic
    The RRP on BeOn bikes has always struck me as somewhat optimistic. And the RS Dart1 is no better, in fact probably worse than many suntour forks found at this price. I'd look closer at the Trek, and take advantage of a test, set up and free servicing.
  • Hi I'm just about to purchase a GT Avalanche 1.0 disc MTB can anyone help me with the following please:

What size should I get (I'm a 5ft 8 male) SML or XL??
    Whats the best lock to buy?
  • supersonic
    you need to try the bike to get the right size. Probably a small or medium. Look at the abus granite range of locks.
  • Fawkes
    Fawkes Posts: 4
    Good morning,

cycled most of my life but now getting in to trails and real moutain biking (7 Stanes stuff). Picked up a GT Av 3.0 which is pretty decent for the price but looking to invest more around about £1500 maybe a couple of extra hundred on top so would anyone have any suggestions for this price range for a hardtail and full sus?

thanx in advance also can anyone tell me how to improve my disc brakes or what to look for if I need to replace them.
  • Mitchster
    Mitchster Posts: 2
    supersonic wrote:
    The RRP on BeOn bikes has always struck me as somewhat optimistic. And the RS Dart1 is no better, in fact probably worse than many suntour forks found at this price. I'd look closer at the Trek, and take advantage of a test, set up and free servicing.

I took your advice on board and went for the Trek. Picked it up after work yesterday after testing it out. Quality bike and I feel lot more confident buying from a local dealer than online. Immensely happy with it- can't wait to get home and take it out! Thanks for your advice.
  • Hi there everyone,

Looking to get a more advanced MTB for offroad trails mostly in the Dales areas and something that can cope well with uphill riding, some on-road riding, and have a budget of around £500-£700. I was looking at the Trek 6000 range, but the differences between say the 6000 and the 6700 seem relatively small, but with a difference of £350 in the price tag.

What are peoples thoughts on the Trek 6000 range, which is the better model to go for (6000 for £500, 6300 for £600, 6500 for £700, 6700 for £850)?

Thanks

Paul
  • supersonic
    You get small, but worthwhile increases in spec as you go up through the range, such as better forks and lighter parts.

Everywhere I have looked thoufgh has the 6700 for the same price as the 6500!
  • thanks Supersonic. I'll keep looking around on the prices then!

What are your thoughts on the trek bike as a whole? Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul
  • supersonic
    Lightweight bikes for xc and trails. Nothing fancy - good frames, nice spec, just gets on with the job quietly! Not so sure on the 6000, I think the 6700 at 700 quid (in many places) is worth the extra.
  • Bones!!
    Bones!! Posts: 83
    Lad at work has a 6300, wouldn't have been my choice, but he loves it, and it does come with sum pretty well specced gear. HTH :D
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, unless you already know the answer!
  • Thanks Bones!
  • Could you spare some thoughts on the MYKA ELITE? I am looking to get back on a bike and become more active, realisng that you get what you pay for I think that £400 should be reasonable. But am i being taken for a ride by the local sales person? Sadly I cant test it there but am lookng around to find somwhere to test bikes preferably in my local bike shop.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I have the Trek 6000, imo the only thing that lets it down a bit is the fork, but this is easily remedied and will be soon!

Everything else works sweetly, brakes are powerful (enough for me), wheels seem lightweight, deore drive train changes sweetly

I'm happy anyway!
  • dbbear
    dbbear Posts: 12
    Looking at the Mongoose Tyax Elite is there much difference between the 2007 and 2008 models. Can get the 2007 for £30 cheaper, is it worth spending the extra for the newer model?
  • rowlers wrote:
    I have the Trek 6000, imo the only thing that lets it down a bit is the fork, but this is easily remedied and will be soon!

Thanks Rowlers, what's the issue with the forks? Is the same issue present on say the 6500 or 6700 models?

Thanks

Paul
  • wilfus
    wilfus Posts: 78
    I've just ordered a Trek 6000. £450 from All Terrain Cycles. Forks are Suntour XCR. They'll do to begin with. Can easily upgrade them at a later date.