Feeling despondant after the event.

J_Anderson
J_Anderson Posts: 616
So anyone else had this? I recently completed the SDW hearts first 100 mile ride which I'd been training for for about 6 months. It was the first time I had attempted a 100 mile ride. At the end everyone was congratulating me and telling me I should be pleased with my achievement and so on and so forth but all I could think was:

a) Should have been faster (13.5 hours to complete)
b) Could have been fitter
c) What now?

I'm now feeling somewhat despondant about the whole thing. I don't feel a sense of achievement, if anything there is an over riding feeling of anticlimax.

Is this normal or am I being too hard on myself?

Of course I'll be going back to try and go a bit quicker...

Hills are only as steep as you want them to be.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think it sounds pretty normal (to me), you just seem to be hyper-competitive :lol:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Sounds like complete burnout to me. 13 hours in the saddle would cook just about anyone
    and seeing as how it was your first one maybe you didn't eat or drink quite like you
    should have. It takes a bit of time to recover from something like that.

Dennis Noward
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I'd feel even more despondent as I'd be dead after a 13 hour race.
  • J_Anderson
    Well, yes, I am a bit competitive...

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I see this all the time coaching, some people have difficulty motivating themselves to train as hard as they can, and then, when they don't do as well as they hoped through no external fault, they're gutted.

By the time of your event you want to be able to say that nothing short of an act of god will stop you achieving your goals.

The advantage to this result, that you feel was not as good as hoped, is that you'll now have the hunger and will attack your training more persistantly in future.

Train hard, fight easy...
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    You can either:

a) Not do any more events considering them to be a waste of time, money and energy.

Or

b) Plan for your next one. Assess your weaknesses and get more training or practice in so that the next one will be faster. Use your despondancy to be better prepared next time.

Most people dont do as well in their first event as they thought they would have, and many simply think they are not good enough or the whole thing is too much hassle. A 100 mile ride is a heck of a challenge to do and the majority of people wouldnt be able to do it.
    In the meantime, why not try some shorter distance races or challenges, such as the Meridas or multi-lap enduros?
  • J_Anderson
    Already planning the next one - a road sportive in a few weeks time.

I actually warned my other half that I might get a bit despondant and grumpy after the event. I was half expecting it. Just wasn't expecting it to be so strong a feeling!

I'm taking a week off hard training before resuming at the weekend.

• irony
    irony Posts: 43
    You averaged 7.4 mph for 13½ hours - seems good going to me.
    2750921120_2950536dcb_s.jpg