What Lid (helmet!) ????

cosmaboy
cosmaboy Posts: 89
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
So i've already got a lid or helmet as most call them, my cost 30 quid and is a giro indicator, whats the gerneal consensous on spending 60 - 90 quid on a helmet? is there any point? i mean they can't be that much more comfortable?

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I spend as much as I can afford on a helmet. i want to keep what little intellect I have for as long as I can.

A cheap helmet is better than none, but you have to wear it. if it's too hot or uncomfortable you won't want to wear it or you won't go out on the bike.

the more expensive helmets may have better fastenings that secure the helmet better on your head, they may be lighter and cooler, but mostly they are all the above but also stronger. The £100 helmets will probably have webbing connecting all the ribs together to prevent the foam exploding everywhere on impact, and ribs to spread the load away from the impact area.

I like Casco helmets, but they have stopped producing the passion sport, not sure what I'll get next.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    More expensive helmets have much better ventillation, it is true, I have used many hemets through the years and currently have a Bell Sweep R which for a high end helmet seems to have some pretty good deals on it.. You will not find cheaper for a helment than ATC Cycles near Bradford which is strange as they are not cheaper on many other items!! They new Giro Ionos seems to have great ventiallation too..
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    More expensive helmets are lighter and have better ventilation and maybe a better fit. You may also get posher pads that don't get smelly with sweat, and of course the design may be more attractive. It is arguable, however, that cheaper ones can be stronger, because they are more solid with fewer vents.

My Giro Ionos is super cool because it has loads of large vents, and it has some Kevlar or carbon composite weave between the layers of the structure to improve integrity (otherwise compromised by the vents), but I don't suppose it is any stronger than cheaper models. They all comply to the same standards (except Specialized lids which are tested to the superior SNELL standards).

Interesting read here: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    So hang on, the lighter (less material) and cooler (more holes) a helmet is the more it costs?
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    will3 wrote:
    So hang on, the lighter (less material) and cooler (more holes) a helmet is the more it costs?

Correct, however, the lesser quantity of materials may be of superior quality and cost more money, Ie Carbon Fibre..
  • alfablue
    will3 wrote:
    Yes, that's fair enough, it represents a greater design and manufacturing challenge to achieve this whilst meeting the standards. A complete solid shell with no vents would be very cheap to manufacture to meet the tests. Of course, riders will pay a premium for the lightest coolest helmets, so I am sure there is a greater margin on these beyond the manufacturing costs.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Most of the time, a more expensive helmet=a less protective helmet. IIRC the Spesh 2D is no longer sold in America as it didn't make the correct standards.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • alfablue
    Jez mon wrote:
    Most of the time, a more expensive helmet=a less protective helmet. IIRC the Spesh 2D is no longer sold in America as it didn't make the correct standards.
    The Spesh 2D has been revised as far as I know.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    According to this site http://www.helmets.org/helmet08.htm the 2D has been replaced by the S-works in America.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    the best one is the one that fits your head, so try before you buy
    all the vents in the world count for nowt if it's uncomfortable
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    You pay for ventilation, comfort and looks.

Assuming the helmet fits properly I doubt there is much relationship between cost and how well it protects you in a crash. The more expensive helmets will use better materials and hi-tech design but this is to allow them to be lighter and better ventilated without compromising safety.

If you're cycling a lot and wearing the thing on your head for many hours every week it's worth paying a bit extra for ventilation and comfort IMHO. Also the high-end helmets just look so much better, you have to appreciate the design aesthetics! :)