what size frame do I need

dave1653uk
dave1653uk Posts: 259
edited July 2008 in MTB general
I am looking at building a new bike and was wondering what size frame I need. The bike is for XC and I am 6ft1. Is 18inch too small?

regards
Dave

Comments

• Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    You need to go and try the bikes. 18" for one brand is different to another. It also depends on your inside legs etc.

Go and try some bikes, that the best thing you can do.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dave....

agreed with eranu. I have 2 bikes.... one a 17", the other an 18". Both fit really well. Any sizing guides will be just that. A general guide. Every individual will suit a slightly different setup...some like a bigger frame/shorter stem and almost anyother permutation of adjusting position on the bike you can think of and more!

You need to at least ride around the street outside a bikeshop on a few bikes....don't just settle for what they have in stock. go to a few shops if need be.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dave1653uk
    dave1653uk Posts: 259
    I currently ride a full suss but dont really do anything that qualifies for a full suss anymore. The frame I was looking at is this.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15098

It's had a few great reviews but with the overall cost being nearly £1300 to kit it out I wanted to make sure I got the right frame. They only have it in 18inch.

regards
    Dave
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Depends on the bike entirely but between 17 and 20 inches I'd say. Having said that I'm under 5'10'' and ride a medium (18 inch) Commencal.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    dave1653uk wrote:
    I am looking at building a new bike and was wondering what size frame I need. The bike is for XC and I am 6ft1. Is 18inch too small?

regards
    Dave

Best starting point is to subtract 14" from your inside leg measurement. So if you have a 34" inside leg, your ideal frame size would be 20".

That said, no two manufacturers seem to use the same method to determine frame size. Plus a lot depends on what you're going to use the bike for. You might find a slightly smaller frame better but be aware that the top tube will be shorter so the cockpit will be a little bit more cramped.

However, a smaller frame will be slightly stiffer and give better power transfer, plus it will be a bit more "chuckable".
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic