Changing Wheels and Bedding in Disk Brakes

sc999cs
sc999cs Posts: 596
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'd like to use two sets of wheels with my bike, one with knobblies on for off road riding, and the other with slicks for commuting. If I change the wheels do the disk pads need to bed in again with the new rotors and would bedding in have to take place every time I changed the wheels?

Steve C
Steve C

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sc999cs
    Oh well... In that case would swapping the disk pads (taking necessary steps to make sure they weren't mixed up etc) at the same time help or should I just be better organised and spend 20 minutes changing the tyres over?

Steve C
    Steve C
  • nicklouse
    just change the wheels but be prepared that the brakes will take a few stops to be like they were with the other wheels.

Also make sure you shim the rotors to get them the same on both sets.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • What do you mean by "shim the rotors".
  • nicklouse
    make sure it is positioned in the same place. add spacers between hub and disc. as the discs are very rarely in the same position on different hubs.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    works best with identical hubs basically
  • nicklouse
    works best with identical hubs basically

not really as they will be different. differing levels of wear and adjustment..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    but surely the positioning of the rotor will be pretty fixed between identical hubs?
  • nicklouse
    it should be between all hubs as they are made to the same set of standards.

But nope. in a lot of cases i have seen the disc either needed shimming or the caliper resetting. Take your pick which you want to do.
  • sc999cs
    Thanks for the advice.

Steve C
    Steve C