Trail running - anyone?

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited August 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Any of you trail run as well as MTB?

Got the "Six Moor Miles" on Sunday on Dartmoor - bit more like a fell race! Could be a tough one.

Did a couple of 10k races last year - both off road and hilly. Best was a shade over 42 mins.

Enjoy it but it's knackering!

Comments

• dyls
    dyls Posts: 64
    I do trail running as well but not competitively - just to keep fit and as an alternative to biking.
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    Hey, Forum Junkie, try joining a trail running forum. You've already posted a triathlon question on a car forum. How dumb can you get?

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154166

What bike is best??? LMFAO You'd get hammered on a 10 y.o Stumpy. I think the answer to that question is a Triathlon Bike.

And if you're as rich as you say you are, you'd be able to afford one.

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthre ... utherlandm

Man, you got laughed out of that forum!
    You started a thread telling everyone how rich you are, but Nicks the tool?
    Good one
    You're clearly skint, but think that telling everyone you're not will pull the wool over everyones eyes.
    Why don't you leave the cyber cafe, your credits nearly ran out.
    Go back to your little shack in the wilderness and find some rats to cook for dinner.

And annihilated in this one. http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthre ... 159&page=4

Hey, which one are you. The black or the blue?

Seems like you have a bit of beef in every forum.
    spammer
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Pippen, you have far too much spare time on your hands, yes Matt can seem ostentatious at times but this is an internet forum get a grip, if you don't like what he types, DON'T READ OR REPLY, generally he makes some very viable and balanced remarks, I'm sure your capable of being a little more grown up about a situation. :wink:

p.s Reply as you will, I will not rise to it.

All the best
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    Oh well that's me told. Moderators close my account please or ban my IP, or pound it up your ass
    spammer
  • Surf-Matt
    Oh great - picked up an internet stalker again...:roll: I seem to attract them quite often.

Pippen - you are actually showing strong signs of being insane.

Thanks Batch :wink:

Did the run - it was VERY hilly and just under 7 miles (further than it was meant to be) - 48m 29s and 50th out of about 450 runners - nearly all seemed like serious club runners (unlike me!) so not too bad. Legs now having a right old moan.

Extremely well organised event though - best son far out of the three I've run.
  • Surf-Matt
    Double post blamed on Bike Radar being odd again.

Yeah not written on CGTi fo ages because it's now crap - what was once a good website got taken over by turds so stopped using it.

And yes Pippen, things are fine for us financially - thanks for your concern. :lol::lol:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    What is trail running? Just off-road running? Sorry for being blonde :oops:

I did the Race for Life last weekend (3 miles) in 28 mins with no training, beating my sister-in-law who has been training for months :lol: In my excitement afterwards I did agree to do an off-road 10k with her later in the year.... :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    I'm doing Questars on Cannock Chase at the weekend = MTBing, Trail Running and Canoeing...

If that goes well, i'll give the Helly Hansen on on Cannock Chase a go in September = more of the same...
  • batch78
    Sarah, yeah its like running round the kind of courses you'd normally bike. Bit more extreme than cross country running which normally goes around a set grass, mud, gravel course. In trail running you'll be going up and down steep inclines, crossing rivers etc.
  • Surf-Matt
    Sarah - yep - off road running. Hills, roots, trees, anything a good MTB trail might have on it!
    That's good running - must be the cycling that helps (it helps me!)!
    I occasionally do a 5k/3m route (all off road) when i don't have time to do my longer run - usually get about 21-22mins.

gk - that's sounds brilliant - if it was nearer, I would give it a go.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Sarah - yep - off road running. Hills, roots, trees, anything a good MTB trail might have on it!
    I occasionally do a 5k/3m route (all off road) when i don't have time to do my longer run - usually get about 21-22mins.

21-22 mins :shock: Wow - i'm impressed!

In a sick and sadistic way i'm rather looking forward to the 10k (and I have always maintained that I hate running!)!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    If god had meant us to run, he wouldn;t have invented bikes! :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Surf-Matt
    sarah75 wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

21-22 mins :shock: Wow - i'm impressed!

In a sick and sadistic way i'm rather looking forward to the 10k (and I have always maintained that I hate running!)!

Think we think along similar lines! 10k is a good distance - you can run at a fair pace but not completely kill yourself. My times are only 7m(ish) miles so not super quick but it'squite hilly/windey/rootey and I have to cross three stiles and open two gates along the way!

Your time is flippin good for a first run - very very flippin good!

Rob - I find it supplements the biking, plus I can bring the dog when I run - she loves it!
    Also I find a 20-30 minute run more knackering than an hour long cycle - handy when time is short. Plus I ride every morning for 10 miles.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    [
    Rob - I find it supplements the biking, plus I can bring the dog when I run - she loves it!
    Also I find a 20-30 minute run more knackering than an hour long cycle - handy when time is short. Plus I ride every morning for 10 miles.

Nah, biking suppliments biking, surely?

And it fecks up yer knees (unless you live near a beach :wink: )
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Surf-Matt
    Rob - I ONLY do trail running on soft ground for that very reason!
    And of course the odd beach run :wink::D

And it's the only time I can wear a wife beater without getting arrested (me in the black one at the end of the Lanhydrock 10k last year) :lol:

MatthewS1-1.jpg:lol:
  • batch78
    What is the guy behind you wearing? Did he just bowl up off the beach, classic. And what is the lady spectator pointing at!!!!! :shock:
  • Surf-Matt
    Bath - it's Cornwall. People wear funny things down here!!

Not sure what the lady is pointing at... :oops: :lol::lol:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Oh, crikey! That man has a camel-toe!"
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Surf-Matt
    I think she might be admiring my 60p Peacocks socks!
  • batch78
    :lol::lol:

Its one of the reasons I like holidaying there, I'm born and bred in Surrey, and as you're aware, there's far too much social stigma attatched to what I can, and cannot wear.
  • Surf-Matt
    Indeed - moved from West Horsley nr Guildford when I was 14 (in 1989) to Trebetherick near Polzeath - I STILL thank my parents for their decision!!
  • monkeysm8
    monkeysm8 Posts: 191
    I had never even heard of this before :lol: It looks interesting. My running times are not by any means racing snake (too stocky) but I wouldn't mind having a crack at this.
  • Surf-Matt
    Monkey - really?!

Don't worry about stockiness - despite appearances, I'm borderline "overweight" on a doctors chart (5'8" 12 stone) - I think a bit of strength actually helps on trails run - whereas on road it's best to be a proper whippet - which is partly why I only run trails.