"Good" trails around Chertsey

anoyceperson
anoyceperson Posts: 66
edited September 2008 in Routes
Hi Guys,

I think this is going to be a bit of a long shot but are there any decent trails around the Chertsey way? Or between Chertsey and Dorking where I work.

Or even within 30mins to an hours drive? I havent lived round here long so have no idea where anything is and dont really know anyone who does much biking up here.

I am not after anything too hardcore particularly just fed up with tootling round parks (virginia waters park and great windsor park), anything with a sodding hill would be nice!!

Thanks

Andy

EDIT: Mods can you move this to the correct area as I just noticed there is a routes bit!

EDIT2: Wow that was quick, was moved as I was writing my edit!

Comments

• Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    You do know about the North Downs, don't you?

In case not, there's lots of the best riding in the south east very close to Dorking. Leith Hill, Pitch Hill and Holmbury Hill are the key locations - as I remember.

Can't tell you much more, as I usually just drive to Westcott and my local friend guides me round.
  • nope didn't know about that at all. I assumed there must be some trails round here somewhere but not actually found any. really have not been here long and have only even more recently got a decent bike and got the bug again.

where can I find more info on these routes as would love to go for a blast after work some days.
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Looking at the map, the closest riding would probably be Chobham Common, though I've never ridden there myself! Another option would be to head to Swinley Forest (aka Bracknell Forest), just off the M3 J3. As for riding around Dorking, the best bet is to pop into Nirvana Cycles in Westcott, as they do guided rides and also sell maps of the area.
  • Thanks, popped into Nirvana Cycles today and picked up a map so I think I am going to head out into the North Downs tommorrow and see what I can find.

I am also going to try and get over to Chobham Common at some point and see if there is anything much going on over there. I have been trying to track it down using Multimap but its not playing ball. I have found something that looks likeit should be it though. Is it slightly south of chobham itself and slightly East of Bisley?
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    I am also going to try and get over to Chobham Common at some point and see if there is anything much going on over there. I have been trying to track it down using Multimap but its not playing ball. I have found something that looks likeit should be it though. Is it slightly south of chobham itself and slightly East of Bisley?

I'm not too sure what's around there as I've not ridden that area before. There was a recent Evans trailbreak ride that way and you can see the route here and this should give you a good indications of where to ride.
  • You may find this

http://surreymaps.surreycc.gov.uk/public/viewer.asp

useful. You can select bridleways and byways, zoom in and move the map around.

It will at least give you an idea of how areas link up. You can drag the map along to see where a bridleway goes.

If you're willing to travel a bit you'd be welcome to join us for a Tuesday / Thursday evening ride - http://tunnelhilltrolls.co.uk/

We ride near Deepcut / Frimley Green about 10 miles south of you as well as Swinley, Leith Hill and other organised rides.

Mike
  • Thanks guys, some very useful information here. There should be a section to do with how to find good places to ride, and then useful pages for each general area of the country (counties maybe).

There is plenty of stuff here to keep me going for a while. :)

I went for a quick ride up Boxhill today (literally 2 mins from my work), was quite good fun but not too much biker orientated. Will be exploring the other places in the near future hopefully.
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    nope didn't know about that at all. I assumed there must be some trails round here somewhere but not actually found any. really have not been here long and have only even more recently got a decent bike and got the bug again.

where can I find more info on these routes as would love to go for a blast after work some days.

We have ridden Leith Hill and it is a fantastic place! The run down to the car park called Telegraph had me gigling like a kid the whole way down as it is full of jumps and step downs, was damb good fun :) A few of the guys on the "XC in Kent" thread ride around there all the time and we are always trying to arange another ride in the Surry Hills. If you look for post's by Russalf and click on the links in his sig he has quite a few GPS maps of Surry on there which should give you an idea where to go. Swinley is supposed to be very good too but i haven't ridden there yet.

Andy.
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    I was there on the ride with Andy I can also recommend Leith Hill, especially the Telegraph Trail, despite all the slogging uphill and awesomely scary downhills the Telegraph trail really made up for it, never have I ever had so much fun!
  • I too recommend Leith Hill, we're going again next Saturday.

As for which trail we go on, I have no idea. We just park in a layby there and ride, hoping to find the van again 5 hours later.
  • i had no idea that mountain bike specific trails existed around here. i've recently got back into mountain biking and usually just park up in forest green and ride up towards the tower using the bridleways etc. im heading here for a ganders this afternoon though http://www.redlandstrails.org/trails_map_cold.htm#

can anyone point me in the direction of the telegrath trail?