Nokia sports tracker as a training aid

NYK
NYK Posts: 30
Hi, used the Nokia sports tracker on my N95 but it only records the ride on the road, as soon as I go through the forest etc it just clocks the time. No distance let alone the route. Anyone used this that could shed some light on how to set it up properly, if it is possible to.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    well you are losing GPS signal, it struggles with tall buildings or tree cover. You could try positioning the phone with a better view of the sky - I understand the gps receiver is in the bottom of the phone on the N95 (not the best place). You could also try a firmware upgrade on the phone, GPS is apparently improved, or use an external bluetooth GPS receiver.
  • NYK
    Mmm, that would explain it. Thanks for that, I wonder is there anything that is useable through the forest etc?
  • alfablue
    NYK wrote:
    Mmm, that would explain it. Thanks for that, I wonder is there anything that is useable through the forest etc?
    The only thing is a more sensitive GPS receiver, and possibly better placement of the receiver. An external bluetooth receiver can be used with the phone and may help, though ultimately if the canopy of trees is thick enough nothing will work.
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    I use my nokia n95 off road, i'm an xc rider and the only time i have had problems tracking with it is with the phone in my pocket, if i put the phone in my camelback pocket then i can track where i am anywhere. The main problem i have had with my phone is a couple of times it has crashed and switched itself off but twice since April isn't so bad
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • alfablue
    NYK wrote:
    tried a firmware upgrade?
  • NYK
    What's a firmware upgrade and does it cost much? Thought the sports tracker would be ideal as it's just a free download onto your phone, but I suppose as it's a beta you can't expect too much. Good idea though!
  • alfablue
    The firmware upgrade is for your phone, its free. I am not saying that you need one, but I have read that GPS performance was improved with firmware updates on the N82, which I have, and therefore the same may apply to the N95.

Firmware updates are released from time to time to fix bugs or improve performance or functionality.

There is a full explanation of what firmware is and how to upgrade it here.

Later firmware versions include "assisted" GPS, where the phone gets additional data from the phone network to assist with GPS accuracy and with locking on to GPS satellites (it reduces first fix time from about 2 minutes to just a few seconds). Downloading this data from the network costs a few pence. Assisted GPS can be turned off if you don't want to pay for the data. The later firmware's may help with GPS sensitivity in other respects too.

One thing to note, if you are still within the 3 month free trial of voice navigation on Nokia Maps, updating the firmware will probably lose that (it won't lose Nokia Maps, just the voice nav bit, which is a subscription service), and you will have to purchase the voice nav, however you may not have the trial, or may not use it.

When my Nokia Maps voice nav trial is up I will probably be buying Garmin or similar to install, as it is free to use after the initial purchase, the Nokia voice nav subscription seems a bit pricey to me. Alternatively I would like to install TomTom which is probably the best sat nav software (IMHO) but at the moment it isn't compatible with the internal GPS receiver on these phones (without a hack). So hopefully there will be a new TomTom version sooner or later that is.

Whilst Sports Tracker is indeed a beta programme, your GPS signal issues are not likely to be related to this.
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    the N95 has a crap and old chipset for the sat nav, SIRFSTAR II

you are best off getting an aftermarket bluetooth gps receiver off ebay with SIRFSTAR III and connecting it to the N95,

i use the same software with an N80 and a gps receiver i got for £15 on ebay, works fine, the receiver i put in a camelbak mesh pocket and phone inside the camelbak,
  • NYK
    Many thanks alfablue, I did as suggested regarding the firmware upgrade (took a little while to download and back-up files etc) and todays ride was virtually all recorded including through the forest, wicked! You are the Techno Don. Cheers.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Does the software allow you to track your route on something like googlearth?

Also does it act like a speedometer?
  • alfablue
    The sports tracker web site puts your route on Google Maps, you can view it in map, hybrid, satelite, topographical formats. It shows a chart with altitude against distance. Text details of the route statistics. Have a look at the site and you can probably browse some shared routes. www.sportstracker.nokia.com/

The routes can be exported from the web site or the phone in various formats for other software.

On the phone you can scroll through several screens, the first shows speed, distance and time and a graphic display of the route, screen 2 shows ave speed, speed, distance, time, altitude; 3rd screen shows course, speed, lat, long; 4th shows a speed versus time graph, 5th speed versus distance graph, 6th altitude versus distance, 7th a summary of the route.
  • gcwebbyuk
    That sounds pretty good then.

Does it mount easily to the bike so you can see it - or do you tend to just put it in tailpack/camelbak and look at the data when you get home?

Was thinking of a garmin edge 205, but this sounds just as good
  • alfablue
    I am considering getting a Boxit to bar-mount it (it is fully waterproof and there is an accessory bike mount, costs about £25 for both at Chainreactioncycles). For now I am putting it in the map pocket on my bar bag, but it works fine if left in my zipped back pocket of my jersey. I think the Edge is slightly better to mount on the bike as I presume the case is waterproof, but considering I got the N82 free and got a cheaper and better tariff at the same time, I'm chuffed with it! You only need a £25/month tariff on Orange (you get 400 or 600 minutes/free landline calls/unlimited texts - there are a few variations).

It won't do cadence or heart rate though!

It does have a pedometer though (if you run or walk with it obviously).

On the other hand, it doubles as a sat-nav for in the car or on the bike, and will run Garmin and some other sat-nav software, or its own Nokia Maps. I have now dispensed with my PDA sat nav for the car, and use this now. I think the edge will give you a direction pointer but doesn't do map based sat nav as far as I know (I think the more expensive 700's do though).

A thing I really like about it is that as I carry my phone all the time, I have sat nav available all the time, even if its just for finding my way around a town on foot.
  • alfablue
    Here is a ride I did at the weekend - the average speed is embarrassingly slow, but my excuses are there were 2 mega-climbs, and I was with my newbie cyclist g/f so I had to go slow :wink:

The highlight was a 45mph descent!

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=323838
  • gcwebbyuk
    Looks good speedy gonzales!

Just had a look at the garmin motion based demo
    http://www.motionbased.com/info/product ... oduct.demo

It does look good - and I can get a garmin for £100

Will have to see best annual contract I could get the nokia on.

One question, whats the battery life like when on GPS? I have a GPS PDA but the battery life is poo - needs to be constantly on charge.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    I've struggled a bit with Sportstracker too - on two occasions on recent France trip it barely recorded any of my rides despite continuing to count the time.

I notice under 'Settings' there's a GPS filtering option. This was 'on'. Should it be off?

Here's the profile of my Tourmalet ride though!

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=328763
  • alfablue
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    Looks good speedy gonzales!

Just had a look at the garmin motion based demo
    http://www.motionbased.com/info/product ... oduct.demo

It does look good - and I can get a garmin for £100

Will have to see best annual contract I could get the nokia on.

One question, whats the battery life like when on GPS? I have a GPS PDA but the battery life is poo - needs to be constantly on charge.
    Well my ride at the weekend was 3 hours, but I was out for 5 (pub stop) and there were 2 bars (of 5) on the battery meter, however, I did have the backlight on auto (switches off after a short time). But I am pleased with the battery life. I'm touring in 2 weeks and I have bought an iGo Trip to charge it up each day (takes 2 AA batteries).
  • alfablue
    homercles wrote:
    I've struggled a bit with Sportstracker too - on two occasions on recent France trip it barely recorded any of my rides despite continuing to count the time.

I notice under 'Settings' there's a GPS filtering option. This was 'on'. Should it be off?

Here's the profile of my Tourmalet ride though!

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=328763

Great ride!

I don't know (yet) about GPS filtering (I suspect that it uses just the strongest when set on high so may increase accuracy - but I will find out).

As for the non-recording thing, I found on my first few attempts it would do about a minute then it would stop recording any data except the time kept on. The problem was that I had the access point set to my home network for route uploading, and I think it was looking for the network when I was out, and froze when it couldn't find it. Setting the access point to "none" has cured the problem.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Cheers Alfa - sounds like that could be a good tip. I've had it set to O2 Active so I'll try with it on None and see how that fares.
  • alfablue
    Yes, that could be the problem, if that is on 3G the network is apparently very patchy so I guess it is likely to lose signal often.