Random query about germs!

13ADL1X
13ADL1X Posts: 151
edited July 2008 in MTB general
Whats the worst disease I could catch from my Camelbak bladder?

Does anyone know anyone who has poisioned themselves by not washing it out?
The trail is long and my legs are burning but I can't stop smiling.

Comments

• Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    Cholera...but that isnt going to happen......................................... : /

Just empty it out and give it a quick rinse and leave it to dry out after you use it, you'll have no problems, been using them for ages!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    E Coli, cryptosporidium. bubonic plague ;-)

As above clean/steralize to be sure, and stick in the freezer as stops bugs growing.
  • 13ADL1X
    What if you haven't washed it for ages but are going riding straight from work??

Actually, there isn't the usual black stuff in the tube that often seems to build up I'm sure it will be fine. He says as he then keels over on the way home!
  • supersonic
    I wouldn't trust it. Could be any number of meanies in there that will give you the squits.
  • 13ADL1X
    Cryptosporidium sounds quite impressive. No way my boss could argue with that!

Can't come to work today I have a touch of the Crypto's. Queue a spare day to go riding with.

I have IBS anyway so my stomach's always dodgy. Bit of stagnant, mouldy water won't even touch the sides! I hope.
  • 13ADL1X
    Off home hopefully will be able to post later!!
  • supersonic
    Hehe, I get IBS, hard to tell what is going on sometimes. Though the curries can't help ;-)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Tell him you have the ebola virus.

That usually does the trick.
  • supersonic
    13ADL1X wrote:
    Off home hopefully will be able to poo later!!

Yep, IBS at it's best ;-)

Ebola, now that is a way to go!
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    Not a disease but you don't wanna start growing Botulism in it! I know that can develop in home made chili oil if kept for a little while, and some damp conditions (Not from personal experience).
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I don't know what disease you could catch, But I know a lad whos straw is actually black and the bladder is patchy at best, furry in the worst places.
    He drops in a steralising tablet and hot water from time to time... I wouldn't recomend leaving it to these extremes though. And the bugger has the check to complain when I cut the mold of my block of cheese and eat the rest...
  • Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    Its very easy to sterilise your Camelbak. Use hot water (70°C+ will kill everything), table spoon of bleach or a sterilising tablet, rinse it out well and you're ready to go.
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its very easy to sterilise your Camelbak. Use hot water (70°C+ will kill everything), table spoon of bleach or a sterilising tablet, rinse it out well and you're ready to go.

Dunno about anyone else, but i'd feel uneasy about drinking from a camelbak thats been rinsed through with Domestos
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    all the hot water and domestos in the world won't get the black ick ot of the tube. Get brush set and they come up like new.

** don't forget the hot water and denture tabs as well !! **

A friend spend a 2 days in hospital and weeks to get back to normal after a bg she got from hers !!! :?
  • 13ADL1X
    Morning one and all,

Feeling fine today. Normal bowel action is resumed. HaHa
    Water could only be described as furry.

As an aside go to IBSTALES.com and check the embarassing moments! Amazing. Stories such as:
    "My daughter and I were renting a vacation house by the beach which had only one bathroom. She was in the bathroom when I had to go. I had to use the cats' litter box or have a terrible mess. Needless to say, my cats were very puzzled about this." :lol:
    Some of them are a bit grim but some are hilarious!