Anyone got any experience of the Terra Nova LaserLarge 1?

andymiller
andymiller Posts: 2,856
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
After experiencing the joys of being stuck in my ultralight but ultra-cramped tent during 24 hours of pouring rain I've decided it's time to go for something a little bigger. The Terra Nova LaserLarge 1 seems to offer a pretty good space-to-weight ratio. Anyone got any experience of it in use? Mainly looking for warm weather camping. Along with space, good ventilation/condensation control would be my other priority.

Comments

• El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I can't speak for the LaserLarge but I spent 7 months sharing a much smaller Laser with the missus. It was an excellent quality tent and stood up very well to high winds, torential rain and been taken down and put up every single day.

Ventialation / condensation wasn't much of a problem. Pretty similar to all the other little tents I've used in the past.

In retrospect though I wish I'd accepted the extra weight and gone for the LaserLarge as things were a little cosy in the Laser.
  • andymiller
    Cheers El Gordo. Bought it, feeling very self-indulgent.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Hi Andy
    This is one I'm considering getting. I haven't been able to find anywhere local to have a look at it in the flesh though. Is the vestibule area fairyl spacious? Big enough to stoere stuff and cook in if needed?
    How easy is it to set up?
    How well does it deal with wind?
    thanks!
  • andymiller
    Hi clanton

I'm afraid I haven't had the chance to test it in earnest but it's definitely spacious (but don't forget I'm looking at it from the perspective of a tent just for me). Vestibule isn't huge - but plenty of space inside the tent itself.

There are videos on the Terra Nova website showing how to erect the tent. Only fiddly bit is threading the poles though the loops.

Cooking in the tent is definitely not a good idea, but the vestibule would provide shelter.

As far as stability is concerned I'd say it was probably average - it's rated as a 3-season tent so not designed to deal with huge gales.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Tnanks for the reply Andy. I did mean cooking in the vestibule rather than inside the main body of the tent :-)
  • andymiller
    Another tent you might want to ponder is the Vaude Hogan XT- which has a humunguously big vestibule.

I've also heard people with good things to say about the MSR Mutha hubba as a tent for lon trips because of it's interior space and two entrances.

Neither is as light as the LaserLarge though.