Will this drivetrain all work together?????

richardeallen
richardeallen Posts: 7
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there had a look around the site along with manufacturers websites and I'm struggling to answer this. Can someone help please.

I've ordered a load of new parts to get my bike up and running again and realise that they may not all work together.
Parts described below:

1998 Specialized Rock Hopper

New Parts:

SRAM ESP 7.0 Twist Shift Shorty 8 speed F&R
Shimano LX 8 speed cassete (HG70)
Shimano 8 Speed Chain (IG70)
2007 Shimano XT front Mech
2008 Shimano LX 9 speed Rear Mech
Truvativ Isoflow Trekking Square Tapered chainset
Shimano XT cables

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your rear mech will not work with the rhight hand shifter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the input.
    Can you believe that that was the only bit I didn't select myself! I followed the advice from the guy in the shop who said it would work fine. When I raised the point that it was a 9 speed mech he just said it would be fine but it would just have more movement! I've actually got some 8 speed jockey wheels because I was intending to repair my old mech. Would they make it work is it a more fundamental problem than that?

Thanks for the help.

p.s. I've tried looking for info on adjusting the chain length correctly but cant find any. Can you point me in the right direction or give me some advice?

Many thanks.
  • nicklouse
    they will not work as the shifter and mech are not compatible you need a sram rear mech or a shimano compatible sram shifter.

the fact it is 9spd in of no importance. as the mech will work with all your 8spd parts just not the shifter.

change the shifter or the mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ah!
    I'm with you now.
    Any advice on a suitable rear mech? The LX one cost me £30 so something in that region would good. Needs to be reliable as I'm of touring for a few months hence the upgrade.
    I generally buy my parts from chain reaction.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    sram X7 or any of the X range.
  • I've looked at this one SRAM X.5 Rear Derailleur 9sp

I take it this would work with the other bits i mentioned previously then?
    Funny how it didn't mention the 1:1 ratio when i looked up the shifters but it metions it on the mechs.

Its cheaper as well!

Do you know if its any good?
    From what you've said the front mech will be fine then? No 1:1 shift ratio problems?

I feel a bit rude taking all this advice for free.

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    the X5 will be fine, X7 better, the front no issues with it.
  • Cheers