Kimmage on Garmin

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited July 2008 in Pro race
Interesting article...likewise, am tempted to believe in that team and the TDF GC...Ricco and Piepoli showed how it looks doped, like that dude climbing at the giro...Also, have a look at Evans in the last TT and the splits on the champs elyesee... these guys were destroyed by day 20....time trial technique made irrelevant by sheer tiredness hence Sastre the fittter could come up to near Evans....look at Contador with his slow TTs at Giro finale , and the cunego and valverde benchmark of undoped racing at the TDF...definitely lots to be optimistic about...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 407072.ece

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Some don't share Paul's sentiments. ;)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Great article, thanks for the link :)
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    iainf72 wrote:

Yes, but this is the Land of the Free and the land where winning is everything, so they have a national tolerance to doping that rivals cycling's historical indulgences. "Entertainment" is more important hence, for example, the steroid-fuelled chase for home run records.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iain, you know that's inflammatory. Those who complain that the Tour is boring can go and rent Terminator 2, can play on their Toystation boxes or find some other form of instant gratification. The riders have no duty to risk their health for the sake of entertainment.

Like Dave says, there is plenty to be optimistic about. In past years you watched and thought "they're all at it, it's a lie", now I find I'm watching thinking "hmm, this could be real, certainly he's clean and he is too".

Face it, if the uber-cynic Kimmage can become a fan of the sport again, there's hope :wink:
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Yeah, come on Iain, the guys an idiot. Do any of us really sign up to that BS?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I don't think it was the best Tour ever for excitement but it seemed to be more credible and if we have to accept that as the norm for a few seasons it will be worth it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:
    iain, you know that's inflammatory. Those who complain that the Tour is boring can go and rent Terminator 2, can play on their Toystation boxes or find some other form of instant gratification. The riders have no duty to risk their health for the sake of entertainment.

But the Tour was boring. I don't need to rent T:2 as I have my own copy of it. :D

Is it too much to ask for a race that's exciting AND clean(ish)?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    To paraphrase Harmon, that article is a "weenie bit" fawning - I'd suspect that Kimmage is trying hard to write either a book about Slipstream or to ghost Millar's biography. If the sport has turned a corner, it would be an interesting book-end (if you'll pardon the pun) for the past 20 years. Start with a "A Rough Ride" and finish with some more upbeat story.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

But the Tour was boring. I don't need to rent T:2 as I have my own copy of it. :D

Is it too much to ask for a race that's exciting AND clean(ish)?

but we did not know who wuld win until stage 20 so it was quite exciting in that respect...I rushed back early from Hampton court on early train and watched it in some internet cafe..in central London and was stunned by Evans , by his huge gear pushing going nowhere
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You found it boring, Iain, as you've said elsewhere. Some of us thought it was a good tour. I'd like it clean, not clean(ish). I can never watch again Ricco and enjoy it and acts like that will taint my view of other superhuman efforts. I'd rather see suffering, or 'real' rides.
  • iainf72 wrote:

I sincerely hope that article was meant to be tongue in cheek otherwise the writer's an utter jerk.
    pm
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    LangerDan wrote:
    To paraphrase Harmon, that article is a "weenie bit" fawning - I'd suspect that Kimmage is trying hard to write either a book about Slipstream or to ghost Millar's biography. If the sport has turned a corner, it would be an interesting book-end (if you'll pardon the pun) for the past 20 years. Start with a "A Rough Ride" and finish with some more upbeat story.

I agree. At times it doesn't read like Kimmage at all. His impression of Vande Velde is particularly trusting (and not like the Kimmage of Rough Ride). He's even done an about-face on Millar. Maybe they really are that impressive.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I suspect that my comment on the Chicago Tribune article won't get passed their censors. :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    inseine wrote:
    Yeah, come on Iain, the guys an idiot. Do any of us really sign up to that BS?

I think it was meant to be tongue in cheek....
  • dave_1
    inseine wrote:
    You found it boring, Iain, as you've said elsewhere. Some of us thought it was a good tour. I'd like it clean, not clean(ish). I can never watch again Ricco and enjoy it and acts like that will taint my view of other superhuman efforts. I'd rather see suffering, or 'real' rides.

No, Riico and Piepoli did a lot of good for the race..they showed the difference between being doped and not...think of the crawling pace of the riders on Col DAspin which showed the real gradient of that stretch of road and the way Ricco kicked like a track sprinter on the drops on that very same section of road and stayed out the seat and in the drops for what seemed like a good 30 seconds.. I am glad Ricco showed what positive looks like
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    That doesn't read like Kimmage at all, if Garmin has convinced Kimmage, than I'm pretty sure they are as clean as i hoped they were
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Jez mon wrote:
    That doesn't read like Kimmage at all, if Garmin has convinced Kimmage, than I'm pretty sure they are as clean as i hoped they were

I thought that as well, it's odd to read a Kimmage article that isn't all rage and frothing at the mouth. To convince that cynical sod is quite an achievement!
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    It did Adam. So did mine.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Adam, you from Leicester ? And Dave, are you from Fleetwood ?

With no prompting from me, it's decided I'm in Gloucester.
    Only 80-100m wrong, but perhaps that's where my ISP is based.

That article has to be a wind-up, it just seems too subtle for even a liberal-American audience to 'get'.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    It's not that subtle.... (the Chicago Tribune/LA Times story)... It did suggest tatooing the date of birth on those that use plastic surgery after all! Remember cycling has a reputation of being an elitist sport here.