Replacing integrated gear+brake levers

jaredholdcroft
jaredholdcroft Posts: 24
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have integrated brake and gear levels on an 04 specialized hardrock. If I wanted to switch out the tektro v-brakes and replace with disc brakes which would include new levers is it possible to use some new shifters with the existing shimano 8-speed gears?

Cheers,

Jared.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you will need to find any shimano 8 spd shifters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    or you could get mech disc brakes. Not as good but a hell of a lot cheaper as an overally option. IIRC merlin and woolly hat shop on ebay both sell 8spd shifters pretty cheaply.

What brakes were you planning on buying? Are your wheels and frame/forks disc compatible?
  • Thanks for the info.

Would getting mech disc brakes mean I wouldn't have to change the shifters at all?

I hadn't decided exactly which brakes to go for. I've been told that the hardrock frame is compatible, i know the fork is and I'm expecting to have to upgrade the wheels when I do the brakes.

j
  • nicklouse
    if you go for mechanical discs (avid BB7's) you would not need to change the gear/brake assy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ride_whenever
    but they wont be as good... it all depends on budget, if you're limited buy better wheels and get cheper mechs, then at a later date get the brakes and shifters
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i know a few folks who are going back to mechanical disk brakes......the comment being bandied around is "I don't want kit that bleeds".

Less to go wrong...and easier to fix trailside should an emergency happen, at the expense of easy one finger braking.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Thanks all - that's looking good.

Before I go ahead and spend money on upgrading I want to make sure the frame is going to last. It's a spesh hardrock from about 4 years ago but it hasn't been used a massive amount. Its 19" and i'm 5'10 which according to the LBS when I bought it is fine but it's at the top end.

The stem it has looks like an 80mm and I've done the comparison of seat to bars against elbow to fingers and i'm about 50mm off. How much difference could that make?

Thanks again,

j
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    edited July 2008
    hey jared. I have an 06 hardrock (ridden HARD for 2 years) and I have no worries about it so far!

I am just over 5'10 and I opted for a 17", although I have recently aquired an Orange Patriot which is an 18"...both feel right..if that makes sense! 8)

Anyway..back to Hardrocks....they are rugged little b*ggers so unless you have damage which would cause you concern, I am sure it will be OK. Cockpit length is just something I have felt, rather than try to measure. These fitting guides are just that... a general guide. Each individual will feel more comfortable with slightly different setups.

Use the force :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ride_whenever
    I'd leave it, elbow reach measurement doesn't really hold up for MTBs as you're normally in the attack position anyway.
  • nicklouse
    19" frame sounds a bit on the big side but if you are happy then that is fine.
  • everogere
    everogere Posts: 68
    I have just upgraded to Avid BB7 mechanical Disc brakes and have found them to be superb and an enormous improvement over the V brakes (crane creek). I am 5' 9'' and 13 stone and these brakes top me like none I have ever experienced, even in the wet. I am sure there are better brakes around but please dont think mechanical discs will not be good enough, they will !
  • The only reason I started worrying about the frame size was because if anything I sometimes feel a bit cramped so I was surprised it was on the large side. Chances are it's a mixture of my shocking posture and poor riding position.
  • Avid BB7s sound good - will add them to the list. I'm presuming the hardrock frame is disc compatible because at the time you could get several models with disc brakes fitted. Is it easy to tell?
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Yes, on the left hand seatstay just above the spindle, there needs to be a mounting bracket with two holes approx 2 inches apart, this is where it bolts on, there also needs to be a bracket on bottom of left hand fork with the same holes. Do not confuse this with mudguard, pannier mounting points which would be on both sides and closer together.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    According to the site all 04 Hardrocks had disc mounts except for the rigid one.

04HardrockXCRINTL_d.jpg

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2004&spid=21176
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs