E-type Mechs - purpose/replacement?

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
My first venture into the MTB side of the house, so apologies if this is obvious (I've tried Searching, but no luck so far!).

Ive recently acquired a sort-of-mtb (well, it was c.12 years ago!). A Claud Butler Antaeus, mainly cos I like polished alloy and it has done maybe as much as 50 miles (!), for use as a day-tourer, once up-graded.

Front mech is a basic Altus and what I assume is an E-type: why would it need such a mounting and can I change it to a standard top-pull? Or is there some advantage to E-types - to my surprise can buy XT/XTR Es?

Thanks and sorry if this should all be obvious!
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    E type as in bottom bracket mounted. normally they are used when there is no option to use a "normal" seat tube mounted mech.

So if it has one fitted then normally i would expect you to have to use another.

But then again old bike old parts.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • meagain
    Thanks. So would be used where say just a short interrupted "seat tube" on a full susser? Looking more closely I suspect that the reason for this one is that the bottle cage bosses are where a mech clamp would sit! Are there up-side-down clamp mechs for full sussers as an alternative?
    d.j.
  • nicklouse
    there are three common MTB fittings, well 2 the band and the E type, but then the band can come in two positions the classic high position (down swing) and the more compact (top swing) there are also some OE ones made to bolt directly to the frames of some makers (Specialized for one).

FD-M771-large_v1_m56577569830614600.jpg
    FD-M770-large_v1_m56577569830614598.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • meagain
    So...a top pull, compact top swing SHOULD fit I guess.

Thanks!
    d.j.
  • nicklouse
    MIGHT fit.
  • meagain
    Point taken!
    d.j.