A definition of XC

ross_mcculloch
ross_mcculloch Posts: 478
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to mountain biking, I've read so many different definitions of what XC riding is. So here's my question...

How do you define XC and how does it differ from trail riding??

Comments

• indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    XC riding is cross country riding. Riding across country that is. :lol: It differs from trail riding in that you're riding cross country rather than on a purpose built trail.
    ...at least that's my interpretation.

EDIT: It's also more competition-based (speed is the name of the game), where as the focus of trail riding is really just having fun.
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    XC riding is like someone running a Marathon after months and months of training, with a serious desire to win or beat their previous time.

Trail riding is like someone running a Marathon dressed as crocodile, for charity.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I would say that trail riding means man made trails generally including north shore and some jumps etc. XC is more just riding off road routes like bridleways and stuff - not really jumping or messing about too much.

Thats my interpretation anyway.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I would say you shouldn't leave the ground for xc other that over rock gardens and smallish drops (1'-2') with a distinct emphasis on speed. Also includes incrediably painful brutally technical climbs, superlight bikes and a classic racers posture on the bike.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    LordBanks wrote:
    XC riding is like someone running a Marathon after months and months of training, with a serious desire to win or beat their previous time.

Trail riding is like someone running a Marathon dressed as crocodile, for charity.

:lol::lol::lol:

To me, XC is riding mostly "on" the ground whereas trail riding involves a lot of air.

I'd liken XC to a long trail run and trail riding as a long assault course.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    XC is serious technical riding, often at speed, concerning itself with efficiency and light weight, by sickeningly fit skinny blokes in lycra.

Trail riding is often slow, concerning itself with having a laugh on overbuilt, tricked-out bikes, by unfit hungover fat blokes in baggies.

:wink:
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    XC to me is like feeding the birds Bloody boring Its flat terrain riding
    And now there racing race bikes with knobbly tyres and calling them
    Tri-Cross.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    grantway wrote:
    XC to me is like feeding the birds Bloody boring Its flat terrain riding
    And now there racing race bikes with knobbly tyres and calling them
    Tri-Cross.

Try the Traquiar XC course at Innerleithen. It's far from flat, has a good technical climb, a quarry section with step up jump and small ladder drop, good technical decent, then onto the Caddon Bank for the 3 drops, which get bigger, good rollercoasters, fly-offs and then to th ecarpark!

It kind of flys in the face of most folks descriptions of an XC route!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.